Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is GPA done by semester or year?

CIACIA Registered User Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
edited June 2008 in High School Life
I'm just curious because if it's by semester it'll add a whole tenth of a point to my cumulative GPA.
Post edited by CIA on

Replies to: Is GPA done by semester or year?

• LiistLiist - Posts: 1,787 Senior Member
    Depends on your school/district.
  • rmadden15rmadden15 Registered User Posts: 2,508 Senior Member
    ^ Ha , this is what I was about to say:

"It all depends on your school or county"
  • southeasttitansoutheasttitan Registered User Posts: 1,928 Senior Member
    Mine is done by quarter, which seems ridiculously unfair, to be honest. If it weren't for that stupid system I would still have my 4.0 (my single A- came as a quarter grade, not a semester grade).
  • binglebingle Registered User Posts: 427 Member
    Bummer, southeasttitan, you need to go to our school. They do it by semester AND minuses and plusses don't affect it. So an A- is a 4.0

Of course the adcomms recalc to their way, so it doesn't matter a whole lot.
  • PoseurPoseur Registered User Posts: 3,331 Senior Member
    Mine is done by year... even if someone gets a B for two quarters and a B on a semester exam, if they get A's the other two quarters and on the other semester exam, they get an A for the course.

Our grades aren't inflated; our school system just makes it crazy easy to get 4.0s. The guidance counselors have to send a note (in addition to the explanation of how the grading system works) saying "Please ignore the fact that kids with 3.95s are ranked 30th...!"
  • shravasshravas Registered User Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    If it's done by year, then how do semester-long classes work with GPA?
  • PoseurPoseur Registered User Posts: 3,331 Senior Member
    They count for half as much in the cumulative GPA. We only have three or four of those offered, though.
This discussion has been closed.