Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I'm at the library right now and...

asian sensationasian sensation Registered User Posts: 515 Member
edited July 2008 in High School Life
I'm at the library right now studying for SAT's, and went on the computer to take a break. But on the computer next to me, it says that every person who uses a computer must 'surrender their library card or driver's license to the receptionist and sign in'

I didn't do either and just went on (no one noticed lol), so now I can't take the tension that the receptionist will ask me if I followed the requirements...
Post edited by asian sensation on

Replies to: I'm at the library right now and...

• siglio21siglio21 Registered User Posts: 2,678 Senior Member
    confessions? hmm....
  • yeahallieyeahallie Registered User Posts: 1,232 Senior Member
    Why the hell would they want your library card or license?
  • JBVirtuosoJBVirtuoso Registered User Posts: 4,579 Senior Member
    They want to know who's on the computer at what time, in case a virus shows up or some other problem occurs. My school library has the same policy.
  • aigiqinfaigiqinf Registered User Posts: 4,032 Senior Member
    LOL I was at the library and saw someone on the computer there we didn't see me. I sat down with my laptop (I saw them on myspace) and I sent them a message "How's the library tonight?" They got up and left.

Speaking of the library, I'm going to go volunteer now. Bye.
  • yeahallieyeahallie Registered User Posts: 1,232 Senior Member
    Umm, who cares enough to steal someone's Runescape account??? Man, I haven't played that since eighth grade...
  • LiistLiist - Posts: 1,787 Senior Member
    My library uses the Pharos system where we have to scan our library cards to log on.

There was a huge problem about security problems in library computers. The main complaint was from kids getting their Runescape accounts stolen.
  • asian sensationasian sensation Registered User Posts: 515 Member
    phew...

this time around i actually went up to the reception desk and gave my library card. it wasn't hard.

don't know why i didn't do it before, lol
  • ArtOfMind_21ArtOfMind_21 - Posts: 923 Member
    lol....
    10char
  • asian sensationasian sensation Registered User Posts: 515 Member
    lol.

yeah, the reason they ask for license is because of security reasons. some lady behind me just asked the receptionist if they even suspect 12 year olds for doing illegal things (random thing to ask, lol).
  • INVENIAMVIAMINVENIAMVIAM Registered User Posts: 3,790 Senior Member
    LOL I was at the library and saw someone on the computer there we didn't see me. I sat down with my laptop (I saw them on myspace) and I sent them a message "How's the library tonight?" They got up and left.
    wow that's creepy.
  • LiistLiist - Posts: 1,787 Senior Member
    So there are these people that are dead scared of me because they were the ones who ratted me out and got me kicked out of school. I add them as friends on Facebook when I get them, and the next day I see half of the information on their profiles have been deleted and a whole bunch of random activity going on.

I also did stuff to them with several applications and I see those applications missing. The following day their profiles are private.

I guess I scared the **** out of them with a simple friend request.
  • salamandersalamander Registered User Posts: 444 Member
    At my local library, we're supposed to get a pass from the librarian before we use a computer. I never bother, though, and no one's ever said anything to me about it.
  • technol21technol21 Registered User Posts: 917 Member
    I just bring my laptop and enjoy the free wifi. Never have to worry about signing in or computer availability. I think there is even a reservations system in place.
  • JBVirtuosoJBVirtuoso Registered User Posts: 4,579 Senior Member
    My library requires users to sign in when they use the wireless.
This discussion has been closed.