right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Can a soon-to be deaf person (me) possess the ability to start an MUN club at HS?

cAnIHAZsumPIEcAnIHAZsumPIE 139 replies13 threads- Junior Member
edited February 2009 in High School Life
Yea, doctors have said I'm going deaf..I have a hearing aid and I will most likely be deaf before my junior year. What a great 2 more years!! (sarcasm). Btw i am not a **** if anyone inquires...lawl

Anyway, thats not the question I had. I don't have the greatest of interests in politics, but I want to find (or found? <--dunno the correct use of the word) a club, preferably of high status, to show that a disabled person can fight back in this cruel, harsh world. In addition, even though I don't follow politicians, senators, and all that, I thought MUN is fun after reading about it..the way we pose as delegates and defend our country, or so this is what I htink we do? (Don't worry, if I plan on starting this club, I will read up thoroughly so I don't look like an idiot)\

Anyway, do you think I can do it and be a delegate? Do you think that if I don't hear words or w/e, that I would embarass my school? I don't want to be put in this position, but great things don't happen to people who never try. And I want to try, without exposing my soon-to be deafness (students at my school don't know. They just htink I'm weird or an idiot as of now when I don't respond or say what. I never used to do that before lawl)

Sorry about this long post..just a little stressed out and I want to show universities that I am college material haha
edited February 2009
14 replies
Post edited by cAnIHAZsumPIE on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Can a soon-to be deaf person (me) possess the ability to start an MUN club at HS?

• MoodretsMoodrets 1423 replies74 threads Senior Member
    inb4longsardonicpostbytheoneandonlyposeur?
    · Reply · Share
  • cAnIHAZsumPIEcAnIHAZsumPIE 139 replies13 threads- Junior Member
    canihazcheezburger?
    · Reply · Share
    srsly can u guyz answer muh question lawl
    · Reply · Share
    databox i request your guidance
    · Reply · Share
  • MillancadMillancad 5917 replies24 threads Senior Member
    Before my mother told people she was deaf, people would sometimes laugh at her for not hearing things. But hearing aids are better now anyway, and if it really gets bad, you can have a cochlear. Then you'll hear pretty well.
    · Reply · Share
    yea i am scheduled for that...................

but like thats not the question i asked lol
    · Reply · Share
  • tiger_max22tiger_max22 445 replies45 threads Member
    So what? You can hear with hearing aids... so you wouldn't be humiliated if you could hear, right?

You basically find solutions to current issues the UN is dealing with. Writing the research papers are super stressful D:

BTW: I appreciate your concern. Great things don't happen if people don't step up...

'I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want.' (George Bernard Shaw)

I posted the exact same quote a few minutes ago, but this seems appropriate :)

G' luck :P
    · Reply · Share
  • mcgooglymcgoogly 324 replies7 threads Member
    no, you cannot be a delegate. i mean are you serious. mun is debate, you can't debate without hearing what the other people are saying. that is the all-time worst club a deaf person could found, with the sole exception for a Musical Appreciation Society.
    · Reply · Share
  • DataBoxDataBox 1630 replies31 threads Senior Member
    lol here I am

um, well you would be rather ineffective at an actual MUN conference if you can't hear, but if serve on double delegated committees and have your partner help you out, I'm sure you could pull it off
    (and if you go to some of the crappier conferences it matters not whether one can hear, since no one listens to anyone else anyways...)
    · Reply · Share
  • McPucks1357McPucks1357 380 replies8 threads Member
    do you know (or are learning) ASL? If so you could always use an interpreter in the debates.
    · Reply · Share
  • mcgooglymcgoogly 324 replies7 threads Member
    no, you still cant use an interpreter for debates, and you cant have a co-delegate help you out (its hard enough for him to catch what's going on and catch what speaker after boring-ass-but-necessary-to-listen-to-in-order-to-manipulate speaker has to stay, without interpreting that all to you). and, no one would talk to you with an interpreter. this is a problem. why don't you start a club to benefit those with disabilities (like you know, deafness or something) or research to cure disabilities instead? as an added bonus, if you do that well and start up a community-wide, not just school-wide, charitable activity, then colleges will love that a hell of a lot more than MUN participation by a deaf guy.
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33394 replies767 threads Senior Member
    If they don't sign, I think you should lead a movement to make sure that everyone has an equal opportunity to participate in the debates, whether they can hear or not.

As someone who grew up deaf, I know how bad it sucks. The fact that they don't have signers for such a nationally known thing is pathetic. There-something to impress colleges.

tiger_max, it's called lip-reading. Most deaf people can do it, but generally you can tell they're deaf by their speech.
    · Reply · Share
  • DataBoxDataBox 1630 replies31 threads Senior Member
    no, you still cant use an interpreter for debates, and you cant have a co-delegate help you out [/quote

Alrite mcgoogles, fyi, I'm the MUN/HMC president at my school, have been to about 8 conferences, and have won top awards at every single one. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, there definitely are double delegated committees at most MUN conferences...so I have no idea what you are talking about...
    · Reply · Share
    ok well can i still find the club but then not participate and work behind the scenes? or something idk...god soemtimes i feel i have been dealt a cruel hand...
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity