Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Thinking without words

I'mI'm Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
edited July 2009 in High School Life
Anyone here think or read without voicing the words in their heads? I want to do this, and its just so hard to practice. Is there a more effective way to grasp thinking without words than just trying to read passages without wording in your head?
Post edited by I'm on

Replies to: Thinking without words

• fairy_dreamsfairy_dreams Registered User Posts: 3,377 Senior Member
    When I read I don't really think about "voicing" words....

The more you think about it, the more you want to say it out loud in your head. Just glance at words and move on. Start with signs. (eg: PizzaHut, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Dead End, Stop). Then do sentences. (eg: Big Blowout Sale Today!)

haha. I don't know. When you look at the time (digital), do you say it out loud in your head?
  • RixsRixs Registered User Posts: 1,003 Senior Member
    I think and read with words when the things I'm thinking involve words, like reading. (That was an awkward sentence...)

I don't think with words if I'm just looking at a visual object, like a fan. I don't say "the fan is on" in my head, I just recognize it as being on. I don't say the time in my head either. Numbers work differently than text to me.

Now, why do you want to think without words? That's an odd thing to want.

My mind would be boring if it wasn't for words. When I'm not imagining stuff, the words fill the space.

Anyway, no, I don't think without words. But, I guess if I wanted to, I would see what I don't voice in my head and try to build on it.
  • HalieHalie Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    I don't do that, what's the point?

I generally think in pictures (especially memories), or sounds. Like if I'm thinking about a piano, I think about the sounds it makes, maybe a song, my piano teacher's voice (she has a Bulgarian accent).

I agree with this statement: "I don't say "the fan is on" in my head, I just recognize it as being on."
  • ThisCouldBeHeavnThisCouldBeHeavn - Posts: 16,060 Senior Member
    I used to be better at reading without thinking words, but there is a downside that occasionally you'll read a large portion of something without absorbing anything at all. Doesn't really matter now, though. I haven't read enough to retain the skill.
  • AkabaneAkabane - Posts: 230 New Member
    w8, im a lil slow. Reading without thinking words? So what do u think of while ur reading?
  • MillancadMillancad Registered User Posts: 5,941 Senior Member
    I can do it if I try. Reading while saying the words in your head is called subvocalization, jsyk. If I don't say the words in my head, I go faster, but I comprehend less. I think I need to work on both slowing down and comprehension.
  • AeroEngineer3141AeroEngineer3141 Registered User Posts: 3,607 Senior Member
    If I'm really pressed for time, I can speed read without vocalizing it in my head. But the only way I can really remember anything is if I remember the actual words and how they looked on the page.

Certain books, like those heavily involved in a specific subject (physics, mathematics, etc.), I absolutely need to read by saying the words in my head. Imagination doesn't really work too well here, so I need to say it to comprehend it.
This discussion has been closed.