Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What's easier to self-study over the summer?

ctgirl628ctgirl628 - Posts: 545 Member
edited May 2010 in High School Life
Hey.. What do you guys think would be easier to self-study over the summer? Algebra II or Chemistry? (Not AP) I'll have to take the final in September.

I didn't take H science/math my freshman year, so I want to get ahead. Thanks!
Post edited by ctgirl628 on

Replies to: What's easier to self-study over the summer?

• TRUFFLIEPUFFTRUFFLIEPUFF - Posts: 1,999 Senior Member
    Algebra II for sure im dying of boredom in my class right now...chemistry requires logic i believe you should have a teacher to guide you
  • QwertyKeyQwertyKey Registered User Posts: 4,590 Senior Member
    I don't know how regular chem compares to AP (I only took AP Chem) but I imagine Algebra II and regular Chem about equal. If you've never self-studied anything before, it can be hard to motivate yourself. Pick whichever you think you'd be more interested in.
  • AntsInMyPantsAntsInMyPants Registered User Posts: 46 New Member
    I personally think non-AP Chemistry will be a lot easier to self-study, but I would advise against it either way.

If you're a math wiz, then go for Algebra II.
  • ctgirl628ctgirl628 - Posts: 545 Member
    I'm not a math whiz. One of the two, Ill take at a summer school. The thing is, I can only pick 1 class to take there since they are held at the same time.
  • 2010 hopeful2010 hopeful Registered User Posts: 2,041 Senior Member
    self - study algebra II
    "I'm not a math whiz."

Are you a science whiz? Either way, you need to know Algebra II to do Chemistry (at my school you could take both at the same time though).

I would think Algebra is more important to have a base in than Chemistry unless perhaps you want to go to Med, Pharmacy, or Dental school in the future.
  • bobtheboybobtheboy Registered User Posts: 2,216 Senior Member
    Algebra II, it's the easiest class to self-study out of any, I think.

@QwertyKey: There were kids in my school in Geometry and AP Chemistry that actually did well in AP Chemistry...
  • BMan22BMan22 - Posts: 457 Member
    Algebra 2 is a joke. Self study that for sure.
    " There were kids in my school in Geometry and AP Chemistry that actually did well in AP Chemistry..."

If this was their freshman year, I'm not surprised. If this was their junior year, I am surprised.

People generally took Chem or AP Chem their junior year at my school. Maybe that's why I have that idea. However I think we used Algebra pretty extensively.
  • bobtheboybobtheboy Registered User Posts: 2,216 Senior Member
    If this was their freshman year, I'm not surprised. If this was their junior year, I am surprised.

Sorry, I was wrong. This WASN'T in my school, mine actually does require concurrent enrollment Algebra 2 or higher to take AP Chemistry. However, this did happen at another school.

Would you be surprised if they were sophomores? ...lol. because they were.
  • ravenclawravenclaw Registered User Posts: 741 Member
    Algebra II for sure. I aced that class easily, whereas Chemistry is killing me right now. :/
  • elau0493elau0493 - Posts: 688 Member
    Definitely Alg II. It's pretty much AlgI except with a little higher difficulty and new materials. I aced the class without even trying, as did everyone else.
  • ctgirl628ctgirl628 - Posts: 545 Member
    Great, thanks everyone!

By the way, how do you think I should go about studying Alg. II..textbook, YouTube videos (haha)?
    Youtube videos are a great way to learn if you can refrain from watching other unrelated videos while learning. You probably ought to get a textbook too though. Try to find a difficult textbook (one with difficult exercises) as that'll make sure you learn the material. But youtube videos are a great way to introduce new concepts.
  • amorestareamorestare Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    algebra 2!
This discussion has been closed.