Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can anyone not handle a credit/check card?

Cody2010Cody2010 - Posts: 1,210 Senior Member
edited May 2010 in High School Life
I just found out that I have $455 dollars in overdraft fees. (I get charged $35 for every purchase after my balance hits 0)

It's like the credit card companies don't even warn us when we're approaching $0. And then when I overdraft, it doesn't decline the transaction and I end up buying a $35 bottle of Mountain Dew. And then I do it again 3 hours later and they don't bother saying that I bounced the check card till like 4 days later after I've made 15 unknowingly overdwarn purchases.

Does this constantly happen to anyone else?
Post edited by Cody2010 on

Replies to: Can anyone not handle a credit/check card?

• MattNCMattNC - Posts: 3,437 Senior Member
    Cody, welcome back to the crappy HSL, glad you've returned. I don't own a credit card, but in any case, that's pretty sad that you're technically paying 35 bucks for a Mountain Dew. I learned in my Show Me The Money elective to not use a credit card for small purchases. :P
  • youwishyouwish - Posts: 392 New Member
    Cody is back [: Actually Matt, HSL only recently became crappy..it was quite nice around an hour ago..
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,871 Senior Member
    I have two credit cards and a check card. Back in the states, I almost always use my check card- I RARELY have more than $10 on me at a time. I get to build up points that way :). The key is- ALWAYS KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY YOU HAVE. Really, it's not that difficult. Check your account every single day and keep track of what you've spent money on. Keep a checkbook if you have to. Banks make their money off of things like this, so there is no way that they're going to alert you (actually, I think Chase does- but that's an exception).

As for my credit card, I use it to buy gas once in a while and then pay down the balance. My balance is currently about $400 because my parents used it to pay some things (wanna take a guess at whether or not they're helping me pay down THEIR purchases? *grumble*) and I pay over the minimum every month. It is what it is.
  • ThisCouldBeHeavnThisCouldBeHeavn - Posts: 16,060 Senior Member
    I have a debit card which is tied to my savings account. I barely spend any money, but if the balance drops down I just slide some money over.
  • MattNCMattNC - Posts: 3,437 Senior Member
    Cody is back [: Actually Matt, HSL only recently became crappy..it was quite nice around an hour ago..
    I meant in general, like the past few weeks, HSL has been sucking a large schlong.
  • QwertyKeyQwertyKey Registered User Posts: 4,590 Senior Member
    Didn't they recently just make a law against this, forcing banks to make you sign every time you want to overdraft? Is this just a Michigan thing?
    ^ Hmm... I haven't heard of this. When was this?

(I will have to ask my mom, who is a banker.)
  • QwertyKeyQwertyKey Registered User Posts: 4,590 Senior Member
    I think a couple of months ago? I'll try some googling.

Ahh... Doesn't start till July 1st.

http://www.visualeconomics.com/overdraft-protection-the-new-overdraft-law_2010-03-18/
    Oh... ok. Yeah, I do remember hearing about this. The signing thing threw me off, because I don't remember that at all.
  • ThisCouldBeHeavnThisCouldBeHeavn - Posts: 16,060 Senior Member
    I must say, spending $35 on a bottle of soda is full'o'fail
  • Cody2010Cody2010 - Posts: 1,210 Senior Member
    Didn't they recently just make a law against this, forcing banks to make you sign every time you want to overdraft? Is this just a Michigan thing?

That actually sounds SUPER legit... since I rarely spend ~$20 and have to sign
This discussion has been closed.