Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How hard are cc's placement tests?

2»

Replies to: How hard are cc's placement tests?

• soulverity7soulverity7 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    So I took the placement test yesterday, and ironically I think I did better on the reading/writing section rather than the math! -___-. The math section only had 12 questions and I was done. Is that normal? I get my scores back next tuesday and the program starts July 12th. I really hope I get in
  • MD MomMD Mom Registered User Posts: 6,728 Senior Member
    Can't believe they make you wait that long. Hope you get what you want.
    Is the math section usually comprised of 12 questions though? Someone said that you'll keep getting questions if you answer the questions right. Does that mean I only answered 11 questions correct?
    I really don't know. Maybe you got them all right. I don't think it is usually very many questions, though. Did it seem like the questions got progressively harder?
    Um, somewhat. I'm just really nervous, I was the one who asked my guidance counselor & math teacher for this opportunity and it'd look really dumb if I didn't get in. -_-
    I would not worry about it. It sounds like you want to take a higher level course. Believe me, most of my students (who are taking my English classes, but also end up in math) struggle with algebra 1. Community colleges (many anyway) are open admissions, so anyone can take classes. They have to give those placement tests to figure out where to put them.

And if you didn't pass it, ask to re-test.
  • nwgolfer321nwgolfer321 Registered User Posts: 901 Member
    I'm not sure how your test works. But I had to take the online math test for a while. Then a paper one on trig. Then another one in Calc. I was there for hours.

I got my results instantly, though.
  • arsenalcrazyarsenalcrazy Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    Yah, when I took mine a couple weeks ago to get into a calc class, it took a little while. There was an extremely easy section called like elementary algebra and then college algebra which included things from algebra to pre-calc stuff. Mine was all on the computer though; none on paper.

And that's weird that they made you take all the tests. They told me I specifically only had to take the math one.
    Yeah, they told me to just take everything in case I wanted to attend other classes. But math section went by really fast, like 15 minutes and about 12 questions. Is that normal? 12 questions to determine what class I get into? oh boy! -___-
  • arsenalcrazyarsenalcrazy Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    Idk, but I remember they had a sheet that had basically each class level and then the required placement test score to get into those levels.

Are you trying to take a calculus (or higher) math class? If so, idk because your community college may work differently from mine, but to get into calculus it required a certain score for the 2nd math test (the college math part). There were like 15-18 in each section if I can remember correctly.

I guess just wait until you get your scores (that's weird btw how they make you wait; I got my score instantly). If it was the Accuplacer test you took, then the 2nd math part should have come up automatically unless you got too many wrong on the 1st part which I doubt. It may just be a different system though. Don't worry :)
    believe the system was ACT's Compass.
2»
This discussion has been closed.