Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Did i really get an internship?

iamamartainiamamartain Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
edited June 2010 in High School Life
So i got this summer "internship" program, at least that is what they are calling it, at a nation wide recognized cancer research center which happens to be in my city.

Would colleges really consider this a legit internship program because I am in high school and I have never heard of a high school student getting an internship?

I'm not doing this just so I can put it on my application, I genuinely want to learn about what goes on at the place, but how much more appetizing does this make my application to top tier colleges such as the Ivies?
Post edited by iamamartain on

Replies to: Did i really get an internship?

• iamamartainiamamartain Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    Anyone know anything about this?
  • toxic93toxic93 Registered User Posts: 2,684 Senior Member
    Well, my school has connections at major businesses and a few selected students get a paid internship at major businesses like Ernst & Young, Tiffany & Co, Metlife, etc. I'm happy I live in NYC for reasons like that. They did say it's not common for teens to get an internship because they must have connections. So yes, it can be legit and can make your application stand out a little. And, if you had a good experience it can make a nice essay topic.
  • 082349082349 Registered User Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    Are you doing research? If so, I would call it a research program instead.
  • iamamartainiamamartain Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    I guess i am going to be doing research but they're calling it an internship.
  • IlikeyouIlikeyou Registered User Posts: 466 Junior Member
    What is this "nation wide recognized cancer research center"?
This discussion has been closed.