right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Did i really get an internship?

iamamartainiamamartain 167 replies28 threads Junior Member
edited June 2010 in High School Life
So i got this summer "internship" program, at least that is what they are calling it, at a nation wide recognized cancer research center which happens to be in my city.

Would colleges really consider this a legit internship program because I am in high school and I have never heard of a high school student getting an internship?

I'm not doing this just so I can put it on my application, I genuinely want to learn about what goes on at the place, but how much more appetizing does this make my application to top tier colleges such as the Ivies?
edited June 2010
5 replies
Post edited by iamamartain on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Did i really get an internship?

• iamamartainiamamartain 167 replies28 threads Junior Member
    Anyone know anything about this?
    · Reply · Share
  • toxic93toxic93 2563 replies121 threads Senior Member
    Well, my school has connections at major businesses and a few selected students get a paid internship at major businesses like Ernst & Young, Tiffany & Co, Metlife, etc. I'm happy I live in NYC for reasons like that. They did say it's not common for teens to get an internship because they must have connections. So yes, it can be legit and can make your application stand out a little. And, if you had a good experience it can make a nice essay topic.
    · Reply · Share
  • 082349082349 2143 replies85 threads Senior Member
    Are you doing research? If so, I would call it a research program instead.
    · Reply · Share
  • iamamartainiamamartain 167 replies28 threads Junior Member
    I guess i am going to be doing research but they're calling it an internship.
    · Reply · Share
  • IlikeyouIlikeyou 416 replies50 threads Junior Member
    What is this "nation wide recognized cancer research center"?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity