Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Beta_FistBeta_Fist Registered User Posts: 646 Member
edited June 2010 in High School Life
I just got a job tutoring a 15 year old in basic algebra. I've finished ap calc and have graduated from high school (2010). Math is my strong point, but I think I may have forgotten a few things in alegbra.

I'm not a good teacher, but this mother insisted that I teach her son math. Does anyone have any tutoring tips?
Post edited by Beta_Fist on

Replies to: tutoring

• bellybelly Registered User Posts: 1,195 Senior Member
    just teach
    try to make her son think you're actually "teaching"
  • jerrry4445jerrry4445 Registered User Posts: 2,741 Senior Member
    Well, since you have forgotten some algebra, I recommend to pick up an algebra book (my preference is textbook;for quick review, a review book) and use it to help guide your tutoring.

I believe you should either identify his weak points in algebra or start from the beginning, and if he knows the material, well, it is review for him then.
  • Beta_FistBeta_Fist Registered User Posts: 646 Member
    it's for an hour at a time, 3 times a week, until the beginning of august. is that frequently for tutoring?

I will try my hardest, but honestly, I usually just look at a problem and solve it. It's usually not the way that my teachers and classmates solve problems. I tend to take shortcuts and "skip steps." I'll have to be careful when explaining stuff..
  • ThisCouldBeHeavnThisCouldBeHeavn - Posts: 16,060 Senior Member
    Try reading the first chapter of How To Solve It. Basically you should make sure that he solves the problem, and if he gets stuck give subtle hints.

Tutoring is good for clarifying your own understanding of the material.
This discussion has been closed.