Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

BS/MD and Sport Acceptance Chances

gradedugradedu Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
My son is a junior in HS, and has been doing club swimming for 8 years and has been doing great in HS swimming. He has been a minimum of 10 hours per week practicing all these years. He is a decent swimmer (Sectional cuts) and would definitely get a accepted to swim for D3 schools if he applies to regular BS/BA programs. I mentioned D3 schools here because I think D1 school would demand too much practice time especially with high demand practice hours like swimming so we don't want to go there since he wants to apply to BS/MD programs.
His GPA is good (4.25 and should be higher by the end of this year), SAT 1420 (need improvement), has community service, research, medical related volunteer, NHS, etc.
He does want to swim in college (at least the first 1-3 years and probably unrealistic as he gets into the Med program). How does the admission office look at him who wants to go for BS/MD and swim at the same time? Does expressing the desire to swim hurt or help him through the application process?
TIA

Replies to: BS/MD and Sport Acceptance Chances

• artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 8,611 Senior Member
    edited March 17
    First of all, to maintain a D3 sports and BS/MD is going to be hard. The academics of Premed or the BS part of BS/MD is going to be pretty intensive. It is not unheard of that some people can do it but most can't. You should look up a YouTube vlog about some medical school students who were in football.

Secondly, with SAT 1420 it is going to be tough to be admitted in to BS/MD. You can try, but also need to apply for some regular schools as backup. Most of the D3 BS/MD schools are top schools in BS/MD and they won't look at an SAT 1420.
  • gradedugradedu Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Thank you for your response. He has a few coaches from the BS MD schools reach out to him. He has been too busy with school, SAT, and SAT subject exams to deal with that as of this time. And he knows his best bet is to improve the SAT scores. However, I wonder if the coaches have any influence on his application as his ranking is 1st - 3rd as of right now on his swim events (even comparing to the swimmers at these schools, and he is only a junior in HS) .... I think the coaches don't have much influence.... But I also read somewhere that colleges will consider athlete students with lower GPA or SAT scores so I am not sure...
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 1,810 Senior Member
    edited May 30
    I agree that doing a sport and BS/MD program will be difficult in terms of time management. BS/MD programs are typically accelerated and require maintaining a certain GPA to continue with the program. I also agree that an SAT of 1420 probably won't make the cut for BS/MD admissions.

How much influence a coach has with undergrad admissions varies by school, and sometimes varies by sport within the same school. If your S is offered a slot at a D3 school, likelihood of admission is high....this is where student-athletes with lower GPAs or test scores may still gain admission if they are a top recruit.

OTOH, Athletic coaches will have little, if any, say in admission to BS/MD programs, as those admission decisions are typically not made by the undergrad admissions staff.

The only thing your S can do is talk with the coaches, his undergrad admissions reps and the BS/MD admissions staff to see where he fits athletically, whether a BS/MD student would have time to play a sport and go from there. Good luck.
    Thank you @mwfan192 and @artloversplus for your suggestions.

I understand playing sport will be very difficult when one is admitted to the BS MD program. I have been trying to do research in this area to find out if students are successful in doing so. The question that I have is if he has been practicing 2.0-3.5 hours a day, 5-6 days a week year round since he was 8 years old, maintain a 4.5 GPA, and rank top 1% in his class, can he do the same when he is in college? On other hand, with a SAT score of 1420, it leads me to believe that may be his grades were inflated in HS and he won't be able to do well in college if he doesn't spend more time studying.

The bottomline is, first thing first, he needs to improve his SAT scores and do well in the SAT subject exams, then decide if and where to apply.

He will also need call the coaches this summer...
  • upstreamupstream Registered User Posts: 276 Junior Member
    @gradedu

pm me

I will give a source on improving your son's SAT scores. Our son was successfully involved in D3 athletics while attending BS portion of BS/MD program. Currently he is in MD portion.
    @upstream
    Thank you for the offer. I’m sorry, I am new to this and not sure how to pm you. How do I do that?
    @gradedu

You need to accumulate 15 posts before you can use pm feature.
    @gradedu

If you still want inside tip on SAT coach, just create 5 more posts and pm me ASAP!!
    I will also give detail information on our son's journey in D3 athletics with BSMD programs.
    Thank you.
    @gradedu
    Just sent you a pm
    If you have any questions, please let me know. Good luck!
  • AndorvwAndorvw Registered User Posts: 296 Junior Member
    @upstream - how's your son liking his MD portion?