right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

High school courses taken in middle school

dyasdfdyasdf 3 replies7 threads New Member
In 8th Grade, I took Accelerated Algebra 1 and Geometry A. I got a 87% first semester and a 90% second semester (both without the 7 points). The yearly average is coming to an 88%. This is an honors class so I do get the 7 points added, but I was told that some colleges subtract the 7 points.
In a few weeks, I will get a firm whether I want to accept the high school credit. If I do, I will be taking Geometry B and Algebra 2 Honors. If I do not accept the credit, I will have to take the course again next year.
Should I accept the credit or not?
edited May 18
7 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: High school courses taken in middle school

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 10113 replies118 threads Senior Member
    Colleges won't see your middle school grades, even if they are HS level courses. If you are confident with the subject matter, take the credit and move on to the next level.
    · Reply · Share
  • dyasdfdyasdf 3 replies7 threads New Member
    What if they go to your GPA? Will colleges just disregard it?
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78255 replies3526 threads Senior Member
    @dyasdf this high school section is for folks planning to apply to medical school. Is that your intention? If not...your posts belong elsewhere.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2boys1999mom2boys1999 155 replies14 threads Junior Member
    Our school district reports middle school grades on transcripts. Our students can elect to have the grade removed and retake for credit, but the grade definitely shows up.

(We actually calculate GPA for Val and sal with and without middle school grades.)
    · Reply · Share
  • kbm770kbm770 114 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Our district also reports middle school grades for HS-level classes. You can't opt out. I suggest you ask your GC what the options are, though I can't imagine that one middle school grade would be the deciding factor regarding college admissions.
    · Reply · Share
  • dyasdfdyasdf 3 replies7 threads New Member
    thumper1 wrote: »
    @dyasdf this high school section is for folks planning to apply to medical school. Is that your intention? If not...your posts belong elsewhere.

I do want to do premed, but there is no other section to put this question in. Which do you suggest?
    · Reply · Share