Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Admissions Statistics for Medical School

2»

Replies to: Admissions Statistics for Medical School

• norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    Supposedly the correlation b/w the verbal score and the USMLE is highest among any of the subsections. Verbal is also the section that many people score terribly on. By that I mean it's not unusual to see 12, 12, 8 (with the 8 being the verbal section) while it's much more unusual to see the 8 be the one of the other two sections. Verbal is therefore a critical section to use for distinguishing between candidates.
  • hpa10hpa10 Registered User Posts: 1,906 Senior Member
    ok. i sort of understand. thanks
  • sarisari Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    Yes, I did mean a competitive score for selective medical schools like Harvard and the like, because like many undergrad applicants faced with options, I am weighing the merits of attending a less selective undergrad school but being able to attend a very good medical school, which is why I want to know what a competitive MCAT score is. On the other hand, I could attend a really selective undergrad school and end up at a "less-selective" med school.
  • shades_childrenshades_children Registered User Posts: 2,206 Senior Member
    sari:
    I am weighing the merits of attending a less selective undergrad school but being able to attend a very good medical school [...] On the other hand, I could attend a really selective undergrad school and end up at a "less-selective" med school.

Why do you think that less selective undergrad is inevitable coupled with more selective medical school, and vice versa?
  • sarisari Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    Oh no, I don't necessarily think that, I just think that it is a viable possibility needing to be addressed in either case. But I do know that admissions standards for medical schools are very tough. My ideal situation would be selective undergrad to selective med school...but any advice would be appreciated.
2»
This discussion has been closed.