Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

My school kinda bungled NHRP...

hahalolkhahalolk Registered User Posts: 1,757 Senior Member
edited October 2010 in Hispanic Students
So here's the story:
I took the PSAT last year, and made the qualification for NMSF. Later, I discovered the National Hispanic Recognition. Since my mother is Mexican, I qualified. However, my father is white, so on the PSAT and in the school profile of me I am listed white. I thought it was no problem at the time; just filling out a few forms. I filled out the forms, and my school faxed the ethnicity change request form to the college board. So far, so good.

Earlier this week I was officially notified that I am a National Merit Semifinalist. However, I heard nothing about NHRP. Are they still sending out forms for this, can I still do something to qualify, or am I too late?

I'm the person in my school's history to qualify for NHRP, so they don't have a lot of experience with this. In fact, they had never even heard of it before me. Any advice?
Post edited by hahalolk on

Replies to: My school kinda bungled NHRP...

• CopterguyCopterguy Registered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    If you want to check with the College Board, you could contact them at

[email protected]

One of the CC moderators gave me this e-mail because I had a question about NHRP, and they answered within a day. The CB will be able to tell you if you were designated for the NHRP, although it's the school that notifies you.
  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    It's my understanding that NHRP functions separately from NM, so they likely did not get the change in ethnicity information that you turned into the CB. Have your GC give them a call (877-358-6777) or email, I don't think it's too late.

Most HS GCs don't know about NHRP. We have had a few NHRP at our HS, including my older D four years ago, but I still have to remind the GC about the procedure.
  • hahalolkhahalolk Registered User Posts: 1,757 Senior Member
    Thank you everybody! I got the school my forms and it got through. I found out I made it today?
  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    Congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.