Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Hispanic Heritage Youth Awards- is it worth applying?

vanessa0311vanessa0311 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
edited August 2013 in Hispanic Students
I've never heard of these awards before. I immediately started an application since I meet all the requirements. However, I'm very confused on what the awards are based on- academic, need, accomplishments? When I got to the awards page, I just stared at the screen. I've never won an award or honor or anything. Yes, it's sad. But I'm taking AP classes and have always taken honors courses and have a decent GPA. So my question is, if you haven't won any awards, is there a point in even signing up? I feel like this is obviously not the scholarship for me.
Post edited by vanessa0311 on

Replies to: Hispanic Heritage Youth Awards- is it worth applying?

• entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    vanessa,

Use the Search function on this forum (upper R above the thread list) for 'youth', you will find several past threads about the HHYA that may be helpful.

Also, use the 'Look up Youth Award Winner' (there's a category for Academic Excellence) or click on 'Youth awards recipients' (L column) on the HHYA website. These descriptions should give you a pretty good idea of the types of accomplishments it takes to make application worthwhile.

Sorry, I'm not personally familiar with the awards and so can't give a first hand comment.
This discussion has been closed.