Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Common App: "Regardless of your answer to the prior question, please indicate how you identify"

jacque101jacque101 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
Hello.
I am a Hispanic student with family from Central America and Spain.

On the Common App, I checked off "Yes" to whether or not I was Hispanic, and after being asked from where, which I checked off Central America and Spain, the following question says:

"Regardless of your answer to the prior question, please indicate how you identify yourself. (Select one or more)
American Indian
Asian
Black
Native Hawaiian
White"

I am not sure which one I check. Do I check off white? When I check off white, it then says:

"Which best describes your white background:
Europe
Middle East
Other (and then write that country)"

**So, what do I do with that second question regarding Indian, Asian, Black, Native Hawiaan, or White as a Hispanic student?

Replies to: Common App: "Regardless of your answer to the prior question, please indicate how you identify"

• goingnutsmomgoingnutsmom Registered User Posts: 1,585 Senior Member
    Yes, your race is White as a Hispanic. It looks like you could either check Europe (because of the background from Spain) or possibly Other (because of the Central American background- is that of Indigenous Indian?)
This discussion has been closed.