Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

National Hispanic Scholar NHRP Class of 2019

lisagatortxlisagatortx Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
I've been anxiously awaiting to see if my son would qualify for NHRP. I called the college board this morning and was told the cutoff for Texas was 1270, so I thought I would share that in case anyone else out there is wondering. Thankfully my son qualifies.

I thought it would be helpful to start a group fro those of us in the same boat for Class of 2019. I have only started looking into what scholarships are possibly available. Please join me in sharing score cutoffs for your state if you know them, and any scholarship information you may have. Thanks!

Replies to: National Hispanic Scholar NHRP Class of 2019

• alcalazalcalaz Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Im from kansas got the email today 1370 and 203
  • suhel dsuhel d Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    does anyone knows the cutoff for California?
  • lisagatortxlisagatortx Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    You can call the college board at 866-545-8467 and ask for the cutoff for your specific state. Good luck!
  • ljrfrmljrfrm Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    My son and I were just talking about this and wondering when letters would go out. He should qualify with his score but no email/letter yet. I'll call tomorrow to check out what our cutoff is here in Virginia.
    Too late for me to edit my previous comment - but my son did receive the letter/invite (on 2/2) but somehow missed it the other day.
  • gpchica1024gpchica1024 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Thanks for the update :) My son missed it by 10 points in Texas :(
    My son is the king of just missing out on something! I know how frustrating that is!! :(
  • ScientificRocketScientificRocket Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Cutoff in Connecticut is 1310. Daughter made 1400 so we are in.
  • NCas03NCas03 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    The cut-off for Georgia is 1370
  • ChihuahuaMomChihuahuaMom Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Score cutoffs are based on PSAT score and region, so let’s organize information and update as we go. Here is what we have so far.

Region: Middle States
    States: Washington D.C., Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.
    Class of 2019 PSAT Cutoff: score not yet reported on this site

Region: Midwestern
    States: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
    Class of 2019 PSAT Cutoff: less than or equal to 1370 (exact cutoff score not yet reported on this site)

Region: New England
    States: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
    Class of 2019 PSAT Cutoff: 1310

Region: Southern
    States: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.

Region: Southwestern
    States: Arkansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.
    Class of 2019 PSAT Cutoff: 1270

Region: Western
    States: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
  • evergreen5evergreen5 Registered User Posts: 1,143 Senior Member
    edited February 7
    ^On a different thread where we were discussing this, @txmom11 called and was told over the phone that cutoffs will be by state this year and NOT by region. I don't know whether that has been confirmed by anyone else. From the other threads:

California 1280
    Colorado 1280
    Michigan 1310
    New York 1320
    By the way, the snail-mail letter from College Board says "region"
  • Jake1563Jake1563 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Are emails still being sent out? My son's score was a 1270 and we live in texas and I haven't received anything.
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 3,213 Senior Member
    @evergreen5 for the states you listed, are those scores the same as last year?
    edited February 10
    @homerdog I haven't tried to figure that out. The cutoffs are not published publicly as far as I know. There's the question of region vs state that another parent @txmom11 raised; however, the snail mail letter says "region." When I emailed about the cutoff, the response just mentioned the state I was asking about. If I recall correctly, if the scores are by region, then TX region went down 10 pts from last year, 1280 to 1270 (caveat, I must have gotten that last year number from an old post here). If they're by state, this would be the first year, so too hard to compare to last year's region cutoff. The regions were simply the College Board regional offices.

@Jake1563 You can email or call using the contact info at College Board to confirm the cutoff and you can also ask about self-nominating in case your son failed to check the hispanic box on the PSAT.