Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How much of an advantage is it to be Hispanic?

bubblegnome6bubblegnome6 Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
edited April 2009 in Hispanic Students
I am a Latina looking to apply to ivy league schools. How much of an advantage is it in the admissions process to be hispanic?
Post edited by bubblegnome6 on

Replies to: How much of an advantage is it to be Hispanic?

• entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    IMO, it depends on many factors, all Hispanics are not created equal.

It depends on the school you're applying to. For instance, rural LACs tend to have a more difficult time getting URMs to attend and so being Latino will likely be more of advantage than at some of the other very selective schools.

It depends on which country your descendents come from. The groups that are truly underrepresented in the US are Mexicans-Americans and Puerto Ricans, and they will likely get a bigger bump.

It depends on SES/obstacles overcome. For instance, a low SES Latino from an underserved HS who has overcome obstacles to do well academically will likely be given a bigger bump than a middle class Latino from a suburban private school, particularly for things like test scores.

It depends on how much you identify with your Hispanic culture. This can show up many ways on your application, in your ECs, your essays, etc.

This is what I have gathered being through the process with my child and being on CC several years, but truthfully, I have never sat in on an adcom and heard their discussion of Latino candidates, so others may very well have different opinions.
  • bubblegnome6bubblegnome6 Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    thanks. that helps clear things up a bit :)
  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    Addendum. While it may be a little cynical, there is a train of thought that any URM with high stats is a highly desirable candidate at any school. That's because they are very likely going to be a successful student and there isn't much chance that the student will not be able to achieve academically. However, I did see a Latino student who applied SCEA to Y this year who's profile looked very good on paper, but he was denied. I was a little surprised that he wasn't at least deferred to the RD round. So, there are still (at least for me) a lot of mysteries about how URM candidates are evaluated.
This discussion has been closed.