Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How much of an advantage is it to be Latina?

bubblegnome6bubblegnome6 Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
edited April 2009 in Hispanic Students
I am a Latina looking to apply to ivy league schools. How much of an advantage is it in the admissions process to be hispanic?
Post edited by bubblegnome6 on

Replies to: How much of an advantage is it to be Latina?

• stephennnstephennn Registered User Posts: 2,103 Senior Member
    it's a hook and will definitely help you out.
  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    I don't think it's as simplistic as that. See my post on the Hispanic student subforum.
  • monroylobomonroylobo Registered User Posts: 380 Member
    You can't just be a URM and get into the Ivy League without merit. You have to be the whole package: an active and academically sound student. If you want to play up the URM status then you can become active in leadership roles or activities that show your commitment to the advancement of URMs such as Latinos.
  • twomulestwomules - Posts: 1,207 Senior Member
    I think it will up your chances only slightly. Remember if they are admitting only 7% of applications, you might get a boost to the equivalent of 12%. No one is a shoo in. Make sure you have applications to a variety of colleges in a couple different geographic regions.
This discussion has been closed.