Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Confirming Hispanic Status

silverturtlesilverturtle Registered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
edited May 2009 in Hispanic Students
I am 50% Hispanic (from my mother's side), but I don't look very Hispanic (most people think I'm almost all White), and my last name is English.

Will this pose a problem when I begin to mark Hispanic on college applications and standarized tests, etc.? I'm afraid that the admissions committees will see my last name and assume I'm lying, or that the interviewer will see me and think I was lying as well.
Post edited by silverturtle on

Replies to: Confirming Hispanic Status

• DRMAN54DRMAN54 Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    no it's not a problem. If you identify yourself as being hispanic... then you are hispanic.
  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    It's not a problem, adcoms understand that many people are of mixed heritage and that it's a 50:50 chance whether or not your last name reflects your Hispanic background. I've got mixed Hispanic & Asian kids, one looks 100% Asian, but that doesn't make her any less Hispanic than her sibling.
  • jessiehljessiehl Registered User Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    Hispanic people can be of any race, so there's not actually a Hispanic "look" (the look that you're probably thinking of is mixed White/Amerindian). Lots of Cuban-Americans, for instance, are White Hispanics. My friend's Indian-Guyanese ancestry is Asian Hispanic.

And yes, adcoms are accustomed to mixed-heritage people. Don't worry about it.
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Registered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    Thanks for the assurances.
  • kiterunner18kiterunner18 Registered User Posts: 1,394 Senior Member
    How is race verified? I'm in a similar situation as the OP.
  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    kiterunner, see the answers on the thread you started.
  • kiterunner18kiterunner18 Registered User Posts: 1,394 Senior Member
    Thanks. I posted on here before I started my own thread. I understand now. :)
  • TxsparkyTxsparky Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Don't worry about it. Your D or S counselor will verify anyway.
    Good luck
This discussion has been closed.