right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Basically Self Studying APUSH. Is American Pageant a good textbook?

deepwater1deepwater1 User Awaiting Email Confirmation 30 replies12 threads Junior Member
edited October 2012 in History & Social Sciences
I'm taking USH this year as a class (not honors, because my school doesn't offer it) and there's one extra class a week for "AP stuff" but I know that's not enough. I just ordered one of Larry Kreiger's Crash Course books and I'm hopefully gonna get a good review book. But our school gave us the American Pageant textbook to basically read on our own and study from. Is this one good enough? Because I feel like it has a ton of extra details that I won't need and will make studying much more difficult. From reading through the threads here, AMSCO seems like the best one, but is it worth paying the $60 for, or is American Pageant just as good? And any really good review book suggestions? Thank you!
edited October 2012
6 replies
Post edited by deepwater1 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Basically Self Studying APUSH. Is American Pageant a good textbook?

• Kaitlynmills95Kaitlynmills95 52 replies21 threads Junior Member
    My school uses pageant for our real APUSH class. If you truly read it and make sure you understand it, you should be good :)
    · Reply · Share
  • thenewguyintownthenewguyintown 23 replies1 threads New Member
    Its a good book.

All the outlines are at this website: Textbook Outlines - AP Exam Review | Adaptive Test Prep For AP Exams
    · Reply · Share
  • bluenotebook2bluenotebook2 732 replies20 threads Member
    the american pageant is the most distorted textbook I've read so far. I highly suggest studying from outlines rather than drudging through the whole thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • PhilovitistPhilovitist 2695 replies44 threads Senior Member
    No no no no no. The book is not very good at all. It's a nice read, for sure, but it is very winding and somewhat disorganized and full of irrelevant info. I suggest getting a book that is more concise and organized for acing the exam.
    · Reply · Share
  • jay1412jay1412 21 replies6 threads New Member
    @deepwater The American Pageant is a good textbook, but it just takes really long to read and has a lot of details. if you really read the book and understand the material, i can basically guarantee you that you will get a 5 on the AP exam. but it is obviously too time consuming to do that and you have other things to do other than AP US. and the amsco is a really good review book and it synthesizes it into everything you need to know for the AP test without the extra details. the amsco is $60 from amazon, but if you buy it from the amsco website it is $18.30. don't pay all that at amazon, but if it was 60 bucks, i would still buy it. here's the website Product Information. its just $18.30
    · Reply · Share
  • deepwater1deepwater1 User Awaiting Email Confirmation 30 replies12 threads Junior Member
    Thank you so much! I ended up ordering the AMSCO textbook, in addition to Larry Krieger's Crash Course book and Barrons' Flash Cards. So I think I'm all set to go! Thanks everyone for your advice!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity