right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Junior Year APUSH Dilemna

sammycpsammycp 74 replies17 threads Junior Member
edited September 2017 in History & Social Sciences
Hello, thanks so much for looking at this post! I'm 2 weeks into my junior year and my schedule started out as Honors Wind Ensemble, APUSH, AP Chemistry, AP English, AP Calculus AB, and golf (which requires lots of traveling and getting home late) along with other clubs and extracurriculars. However, today I made the decision to drop APUSH based on a variety of factors. I gave it my all in the class and even my teacher said that I was more than capable of succeeding and managing the workload which I agree with, but I am a STEM oriented person who wants to focus on my challenging AP courses in those fields, I have lots of honors classes from previous years, I have plenty of extracurricular commitments, I have a minor health disorder that flares up with lack of sleep, I want to have ample time to study for the SAT/ACT/AP exams that I am taking this year, I can still earn a 4.67 GPA with straight A's in these classes, I will still have taken 7 AP classes by the time I graduate without APUSH, and I am only looking to go to a Top 100 school instead of the Ivies. I got many perspectives from seniors who took it last year, I made a pros and cons list, I consulted my friends, family, and GC who all supported me. But I know that I will constantly be doubting myself and comparing myself to my peers so I am wondering, does the CC community think I made the right decision?
edited September 2017
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Junior Year APUSH Dilemna

• LoveTheBardLoveTheBard 2136 replies20 threads Senior Member
    Yes -- beyond a certain number of AP classes (8 to 10), it becomes overkill. It's more important to have balance in your life than to have APs in every subject.
    · Reply · Share
  • sammycpsammycp 74 replies17 threads Junior Member
    @LoveTheBard Thanks for coming back to another of my posts! I agree with you and your advice is much appreciated!
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43408 replies473 threads Senior Member
    Yes, you did. However, did you complete Foreign Language level 3 last year? If not, take that. Also, make sure you do take US history honors (or, if need be, CP).
    · Reply · Share
  • sammycpsammycp 74 replies17 threads Junior Member
    @MYOS1634 Yes, I completed Spanish 3 over the summer at the community college which my high school counts as AP credit. Next year I plan to take Spanish 4, participate in a program that takes students learning Spanish to Spain, and I plan to get a bilingual seal for my diploma. Unfortunately my school does not offer Honors World History otherwise I would be there in a heart beat, but I am now enrolled in CP US History. Thanks for your input and checking that I'm still on the right track!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity