right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

AP Human Geography Retake (COVID)

dhishadhisha 2 replies2 threads New Member
I took the 2020 AP Human Geography Exam and got a 3. This is a very low score for me, and it's my first AP. My goal colleges are IVY League Schools (particularly Harvard), and I want to be a science/writing major. I also want to be eligible for the AP National Scholar Award. I have a high grade point average for the APHG class and a high GPA, but I got nervous on test day, especially since it was all FRQs this year. Will this affect my chances of getting into Harvard? Should I retake this exam?
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: AP Human Geography Retake (COVID)

• skieuropeskieurope 42017 replies8246 threads Super Moderator
    95% of applicants will be rejected fro Harvard. A 3 will not be the reason you are rejected.

Move on. Dont retake.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 3024 replies48 threads Senior Member
    AP National Scholar Award no longer exists.

“Starting with the May 2021 Exam Administration, we’ll no longer distribute National AP Scholar awards”.

A score can’t be “ very low score for me“ if it’s your very first score.

AP scores are of minimal, if any, importance in admissions. Of no importance if you don’t report/provide it. (HG even more so). There and many, many better things to do with your time than trying to re-study for minor AP test nearly a year after the class ended. Focus on preparing for next year’s AP tests next year.
    · Reply · Share
    RichInPitt wrote: »

“Starting with the May 2021 Exam Administration, we’ll no longer distribute National AP Scholar awards”.

A score can’t be “ very low score for me“ if it’s your very first score.

AP scores are of minimal, if any, importance in admissions. Of no importance if you don’t report/provide it. (HG even more so). There and many, many better things to do with your time than trying to re-study for minor AP test nearly a year after the class ended. Focus on preparing for next year’s AP tests next year.

May 2021 is next year. This year us the last for AP awards. But yeah, they're pretty meaningless.
    · Reply · Share
  • dhishadhisha 2 replies2 threads New Member
    But would this be a make or break deal at Ivy League or top-tier colleges?

· Reply · Share
    dhisha wrote: »
    But would this be a make or break deal at Ivy League or top-tier colleges?

Hell to the no
    · Reply · Share
  • dhishadhisha 2 replies2 threads New Member
    Is there any way to send my scores in for rescoring even though I got a 3? My teacher agrees with me in that I should have gotten a 4... can use this to help my case?
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 16
    dhisha wrote: »
    Is there any way to send my scores in for rescoring even though I got a 3? My teacher agrees with me in that I should have gotten a 4... can use this to help my case?

No. Well you can send them, but the CB will autoreject. They will only entertain re grade requests for a 1 or 2.
    edited July 16
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 3024 replies48 threads Senior Member
    skieurope wrote: »
    RichInPitt wrote: »

May 2021 is next year..

Yes, May 2021 is next year. That’s the next time the AP exams are offered. National Scholar awards will not be given for that test. The very last opportunity to earn a National Scholar award is in the past. Thus, it no longer exists.

· Reply · Share
  • marranmarran 3 replies0 threads New Member
    What do you need to do to retake AP Human Geography test- sophomore year if you dont pass it freshman year?
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 26
    marran wrote: »
    What do you need to do to retake AP Human Geography test- sophomore year if you dont pass it freshman year?

But the better option is to just move on.
    edited August 26
    Post edited by skieurope on
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35946 replies404 threads Senior Member
    You're way off base if you think APHG is a make or break. Not the sort of thinking a H is looking for. They'll want far more energy and activation than fussing over the baby class of APs.

Of course, AP scores matter. They're data points. But you have miles to go and, it seems, much to learn about what it truly takes. Take that on as your challenge. Don't waste time.
    · Reply · Share