Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Notable Online High Schools?

businessnerdbusinessnerd Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
edited January 2011 in Home Schooling and College
Hi,

Thanks for reading, I would like to ask whether there are more notable online high schools like the Stanford EPGY?

Thank you!
Post edited by businessnerd on

Replies to: Notable Online High Schools?

• florida1on1florida1on1 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Well I attend FLVS and it accredited so i guess that notable.
  • anotherparentanotherparent Registered User Posts: 1,275 Senior Member
    There are quite a few online High Schools out there. I believe EPGY is the only one that is selective.
  • businessnerdbusinessnerd Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Thank you!
  • shushugahshushugah - Posts: 764 Member
    There's also ArtofProblemSolving and CTY both are selective. AoPS has THE SMARTEST matheletes in the world, since all Math Olympiad Summer program invitees get to attend WOOT for free. Basically I am in a class with one of the 6 smartest mexican mathletes, 1/13 top computer programmers (High school age) and all the instructors are amazing people with fascinating histories and more importantly amazing teaching techniques.
    No, AoPS is not selective. It is excellent, but anyone can sign up. EPGY Online HS requires an application process.

CTY and regular EPGY (as opposed to the online high school) want SAT scores, but when my son took an EPGY class, I never got around to sending them his SAT scores, and they never asked for them. Basically, if you have the money, they are willing to pay, they are more than willing to take your money.
    AoPS is selective depending on the course...an introductory course you can't be selective since the kid is expected to know nothing, however as you go up the chain, particularly AIME A/B Sessions, WOOT, Group Theory they become very selective.
    I am not sure what you mean by selective. Selective means you apply, and get compared to other applicants, usually providing essays, recommendation, etc.

Maybe AoPS has changed since my son took classes (he was in the first Woot, and then the next two as a Mopper). AoPS is self selecting. And they will give you refunds if you are not right for the class, but I did not see an application process when I checked the website right now, and I know that in my son's day there was definitely not one.

For instance on the woot page they say: WOOT is ideal for students preparing for a National Olympiad such as the USA Mathematical Olympiad and the USA Junior Mathematical Olympiad. Students who are not capable of consistently scoring 5 or higher on the American Invitational Mathematics Exam should strongly consider waiting until they have more experience before joining WOOT.

That means anyone who wants can sign up for a class. It may be a bad idea, but you are welcome to try.

What do you think 'selective' means in this respect?
    ^I see what you are saying, and agree.
    But, you are 100% correct to sing the praises of AoPS! My son, now a junior in college, first got involved in the community at the end of 8th grade. It has grown a lot since then, but still maintains the highest standards. Richard has really done so much for the high school math community.
  • Hard_KnocksHard_Knocks Registered User Posts: 379 Member
    My daughter attends part-time EPGY OHS, and I'd be happy to answer any questions about it.

Another program was recently launched by GWU.
This discussion has been closed.