Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How Is Getting Into College/Universities Using A Homeschooling Diploma and Transcript Honestly Fair?

Replies to: How Is Getting Into College/Universities Using A Homeschooling Diploma and Transcript Honestly Fair?

• Willow613Willow613 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Sounds like you have a scheming mind.
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    This thread is three months old. They have already relaxed and moved on.
  • brendaflybrendafly Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Homeschoolers can get an accredited transcript from an organization like www.bridgewayacademy.com
  • brendaflybrendafly Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    There are organizations that provide curriculum or just provide record keeping and have gone through the accreditation process - check out www.bridgewayacademy.com
  • jean1960jean1960 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    we have homeschooled for 15yrs, in seven different states, every state makes the homeschool parent fill out forms to homeschool and then given an id number.
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,556 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    @jean1960 not in Texas! and in FL we just registered under an umbrella school. Not sure if they reported us to the state or not.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 7,553 Senior Member
    @Jean1960: we have homeschooled for 15yrs, in seven different states, every state makes the homeschool parent fill out forms to homeschool and then given an id number.

Every state has its own homeschool regulations. There are some states where paperwork has to be filed, but in others there's no reporting at all. In NYS, families are required to turn in paperwork, but we're not assigned ID numbers.

It's extremely important for homeschoolers to read and understand their own state regulations. Google "[your state] homeschool regulations" or look on your state education website.
  • AnotherCuppaAnotherCuppa Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Transcripts don't amount to a hill of beans if they have nothing to back them, so there is nothing to be gained by producing fraudulent ones. I'd like to know how you come by the assertion that some kind of massive fraud in need of addressing, exists in the first place, works in the second (without test scores demonstrating those abilities to back it), and is therefore victimizing everyone else and thus in need of redress.

Also, you wouldn't consider SAT and ACT scores and/or a GED proof enough that the person is as educated as they claim? Why not?

It isn't fraud if the person is actually capable of what they say they are. Again, where are these colleges that accept only transcripts as evidence, such that someone might actually be being defrauded?
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    This thread is a year old. Nobody is here anymore.
    The argument of "if it is possible, then it must be defended against" requires examination. Many things are possible in life, but happen so seldom, or are of such small consequence, that the effort of attempting to prevent their occurrence makes no sense in light of what would be gained. However, that line of reasoning is often used when trying to get people to agree to give up their own freedoms, or agree that the freedoms of others be curtailed "just in case" because the argument goes, if wrongdoing is possible, we must assume wrongdoing as the default, and act accordingly. It's a sort of "guilty until proven innocent" line of reasoning used to get people to agree to the need for otherwise unreasonable limitations.
  • LKnomadLKnomad Registered User Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    Noooooooooooooooo

Don't bring this thread back!!!!
    okay! darn, it was fun. But, okay. I'll see if I can delete my mess.
  • jennabean99jennabean99 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I have been homeschooled for a long time (and am thankful for it) including my freshman and sophomore years of high school. I used an accredited, college-prep course which handled all of my transcripts. I have never heard of any homeschooling students being able to make up their own transcript without any sort of regulation. In fact- and I think that many people do not realize this- homeschoolers are held to standards and regulations just like any other student and I am pretty much positive that any high school courses for homeschoolers have to be officially accredited in order for a college (or high school in the case that a student transfers) to accept them. Actually there is a lot of red tape put on homeschoolers and in my opinion (and in many others'), if the education system is unfair for anyone, it is unfair for those who choose to homeschool.
    It should also be noted that colleges like homeschoolers because they tend to have high scores on standardized tests (which they are required to take like anyone else) such as the SAT. Colleges do not want people who have simply made up a transcript that isn't worth the paper it is printed on to enter their school and drag down its reputation (that's why they have GPA, test score etc. requirements), so I have a hard time believing that many colleges if any would accept a transcript from anyone based solely on their word.
This discussion has been closed.