Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How Is Getting Into College/Universities Using A Homeschooling Diploma and Transcript Honestly Fair?

15678911»

Replies to: How Is Getting Into College/Universities Using A Homeschooling Diploma and Transcript Honestly Fair?

• jennabean99jennabean99 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    edited July 2016
    @JustOneDad #4
    "It would be too easy to just create your own BS starting in 9th grade. It could be like "Zach's Country Academy".

What would be wrong with that as long as you kept everything above board? You'd be first in the class and pull down nearly all the awards for sure. You could even let your siblings be admitted as they grew older. That way the entire school size would be at least bigger than one. "

Oh sure. Do you really think that "Zach's Country Academy" is going to make it past the officials. And some people don't seem to realize that homeschoolers have to have official transcripts just like any other high schooler if they want them to be accepted by a college. That is the whole reason for having accreditation- to ensure that the course is legitimate and up to par by certain official standards.
  • jennabean99jennabean99 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    @albert69
    I'm sorry albert69 but I just can't agree with many of your arguments. Yes homeschoolers are under regulation just like any other high schooler, No they cannot just print off their own transcripts at home because they need to be officially accredited, and No it is very (very) unlikely that a college or university of any standing is going to accept transcripts without question from someone without checking first to see that they meet the necessary requirements; they will not need to worry about this with high schoolers from a public/private school because their schools are of course accredited or they wouldn't be open. There are a few unacreditted high school courses out there (for free study I would think) that some may use as their regular homeschool course work not realizing that it is unaccredited. but this accounts for only a very small percentage of homeschooled high schoolers.
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 4,453 Senior Member
    @jennaben99 Ditto what Mom2aphysicsgeek wrote. We did not need any accredited high school courses and our transcripts were totally home issued. Two of my boys homeschooled through high school. One went to public school. None had any difficulty getting into colleges that fit them with decent merit aid. My highest level son was a homeschooled lad. He's now applying to med school (with terrific college stats too, etc).

My boy who had the toughest time adjusting to college (academics and life) was my public schooled lad. He's doing fine now, but his first year was rough.
  • shuttlebusshuttlebus Registered User Posts: 324 Member
    @jennabean99 I also want to chime in to reiterate that homeschoolers do not need accredited courses or transcripts. I have graduated one of my kids so far. He was accepted to every college he applied with my home issued transcript. He just completed his freshman year at MIT.
15678911»
This discussion has been closed.