Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Need advice for weird online school situation

AboutToTravelAboutToTravel Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I'm currently a freshman in high school at a large public school. It's alright and I'm not withdrawing due to any reason related to school.

My dad is currently saving money and wishes to buy an RV and sell our house and travel the country. I'd always have access to the internet cause since my dad will still work at union halls we'd stick close to towns and cities and would be in one place for 2-3 months. He wants to bring me with him. I would LOVE to go! If we were to do this, I'd go to online school. This would be after my sophomore year so we'd be traveling for my junior and senior years.

I've never been homeschooled of any kind so I don't really understand how it works. What are some well respected online schools where I can take college level/AP courses? I want to go to a school in the top 20, probably.

What should we look for in finding an online school? Also, I am willing to hear anyone's experience with online schools! Thanks in advance.

Replies to: Need advice for weird online school situation

• sbjdorlosbjdorlo Registered User Posts: 5,006 Senior Member
    Lots of choices. Maybe have your dad join the Yahoo Group HS2Coll to get ideas for online courses. You don't have to do one "school"; you can piecemeal courses. Here are a few:

Coursera
    MIT EdX
    PaHomeschoolers
    Online G3
    The Potter's School
    k12.com
    Lone Pine Classical School
    eIMACS
    AoPS
    Stanford OHS

Lots more to choose from. My sons have all taken courses from various online schools including AoPS, Coursera, OnlineG3, The Potter's School, University of Missouri, etc. We did more at the local community college and homeschool co-op, but the online courses were good for the most part.

You need to figure out the homeschool laws in your home state and abide by them, as well.