Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

homeschooler in need of guidance !!!

2»

Replies to: homeschooler in need of guidance !!!

• soke876soke876 Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    I am a senior and Im taking The ACT on december 7th and 3 subject tests on the 1st so i will have tests to back up my transcripts, etc. My mom is also in the process of preparing all of these documents.
    Personally I am hoping Pepperdine is a good match school for me, as prepscholar says their 25/75 range is an 1190-1390
    i'm feeling very prepared for my exams and expect at least a 29 on the ACT
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 4,849 Senior Member
    Have more than one school on your list - esp one that is only a match/reach and not a safety.

Your SAT score would be loved by many of the kids at the public school where I work and many of them go to colleges. They just select colleges where that score is in the upper 50% (or upper 25% for safeties - assuming affordability too).

If you get in to a match/reach and still like it better in April - terrific (make SURE it's affordable). If not, well, most still want options to choose from. Eons ago I went to my second choice college even though I got into my first choice. My first choice wasn't as affordable. Now I wouldn't change a thing. I had a great time, got a great education, had super friends and married my best friend. Second choices aren't necessarily bad! I had next to nothing in loans too.
  • sbjdorlosbjdorlo Registered User Posts: 5,116 Senior Member
    OP,

As gently as possible I want to say that you and your mom are getting a really late start on this, I'm sure you know.

You definitely do need an academic recommendation if you're applying to reach schools; Pepperdine is a reach for you, as are all the schools you named. A safety is typically one where your stats fall above the 75%ile for SAT, where your GPA is at least at the 50%tile, and that admits 50% or more of its students and one that you can afford.

Your list is unusual with Barnard and Pepperdine on the same list. I suggest you use College Board Big Future to find safety schools that meet your criteria of what you're looking for in a college. There are a lot of liberal arts colleges that admit a higher percentage of its students such as many of the CTCL schools (Google "Colleges That Change Lives"). Schools like Juniata, University of Puget Sound, Clark, Goucher, etc. might be worth a look. If you want a women's college, look at Mt. Holyoke, which would be easier to get into than Scripps.

You and your mom need to be communicating with colleges a lot right now. Your mom needs to get her homeschool documents done. You need to ask someone for an academic recommendation (I say ask all of the options and hope the one comes through); you need to get those non-academic recommendations requested and uploaded.

Hopefully, you've started essays, you've figured out which schools on the list so far require interviews and you know their deadlines, specific tests, and so forth, you've invited your mom to be your counselor on the Common Application, and you've made an activities resume (which is helpful for multiple purposes). Reach out to admissions at all schools of interest and be clear about what they would like to see from you.

It sounds like you're up for the task, but applying to highly selective schools takes a lot of time and effort. I hope it works out for you!
    Going along with what @sbjdorlo said, at our public school it's recommended that all applications be finished by Dec 1st with just rare exceptions (or community college) for after that. Even if colleges accept applications until a later date, many have given away their merit money (scholarship deadlines often come much earlier) and rolling school admissions can be more difficult if they've already accepted close to their quota.

A quick google search says Pepperdine's acceptance rate is only 38% and your stats are in the lower half, then add a later application without a lot to back up your educational foundation. It's not an automatic rejection, but I wouldn't put the odds very high to consider it a match. It's a reach.
    You cant submit any applications past the deadline. Are you saying that even before late December an application is late for consideration ? As that's when I will have completed testing and essays?
    And I have already registered for my interviews including one with Clark.
  • Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek Registered User Posts: 4,338 Senior Member
    @soke876 Have you read the schools' websites? They all have their own deadlines. Here is Clark's info which was easily found via Google search. Apply before the deadlines. https://www.clarku.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/how-to-apply/regular-decision/
    @soke876 Yes, at some schools (not necessarily all), submitting an application closer to their deadline date makes it more difficult to get accepted. They still accept applications until the date they set, but they don't have to wait until all applications are in to start reading them and deciding who to offer spots to. Most, if not all, selective colleges have a set number they plan to accept. When it's reached, it's reached. As they get closer to reaching it they are pickier about who gets accepted since there aren't unlimited numbers of spots. Others they like can be put on a waitlist. Some schools pull a fair number from their waitlist and some pull none or a small handful.

Otherwise, many scholarship deadlines are before actual application deadlines. If you are hoping for merit money it's important to pay attention to those dates pretty carefully.
    edited November 2018
    I just googled Clark. Since they accept 55% of their applicants a later application there is likely to do better than Pepperdine, but I'd still advise a student to get theirs in as early as they can.

With SAT scores of 1210-1410 for their 25%/75%, your current 1220 still makes them a definite reach school for you. That could change if your score improves significantly, of course.

ETA: Definitely do the interviews at schools. It gives them a chance to meet you and see that you are more than scores...
2»