Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Admission requirements to a BS/MD for a Homeschooler??

ArcturiaArcturia Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
Hey everyone, so currently I am a home schooled sophomore enrolled in an online school. I am enrolled in an online school because the schools where I live honestly aren't the best. I've always been extremely interested in medicine, and it's my dream to become a surgeon. The online school I am enrolled in is college accredited and I'm not sure if this is important to know, but currently I am taking Pre-Calc, Chemistry, English 4 (11-12th grade english), US history and Spanish 3. Last year I took Honors Biology, World History, Algebra 2, Geometry, Spanish 2, and English 3.

I found a BS/MD program that I'm really interested in, and I think it would be a good fit for me. I took a couple mock SATs and my current score is around the low 1300s. The program's average SAT score is about a 1400+, and I working as hard as I can to get my score up higher. Should I shoot for much higher than their average SAT score (like a 1450-1500) because it might be a heavier weight on whether or not I get admitted? I have no idea as to whether or not being a homeschooler is detrimental to my application. Should I send the admissions program an email asking about their homeschooler policies? Also if anyone has any suggestions to what classes I should take next year that would be amazing! Below is a letter I drafted, I'm not sure if it's good enough but I included it just in case.

Dear Sir or Madam,

This is to request more information about _____ BA/MD’s program. I am extremely interested in this program and I am anxious to apply for it in your renowned university for admission in 2021.

I am currently a homeschooled sophmore in highschool, taking classes through an online academy that is college certified. I would like to inquire about admission requirements and in particular, could you please indicate if homeschooled/online high school is accepted for your program? If so, I would be grateful if you could indicate the academic entry requirements of _____BA/MD program for homeschooled students.

Second, I would greatly appreciate some information about how heavily my SAT scores would influence my chance of acceptance. I understand that because my curriculum (although up to state standards) may not conform to the traditional high school transcripts, and it can be difficult to understand my academic skill. I also would like to ask the following question: are there any SAT subject tests that would be beneficial to my application?

Thank you in advance for your attention to my request. I look forward to receiving your response.

Yours sincerely,

Replies to: Admission requirements to a BS/MD for a Homeschooler??