right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Best homeschooler friendly colleges

Collegeegal5Collegeegal5 7 replies11 threads Junior Member
What are colleges that don’t discriminate being a homeschooler ( I have taken online classes- accredited) / will my transcript appear as a normal high school student, I have a counselor and teachers, but I chose to be homeschooled because I didn’t want to take the FSA and the EOC)
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Best homeschooler friendly colleges

• kokotgkokotg 93 replies5 threads Junior Member
    In our experience, the vast majority of colleges are very homeschooler friendly. We ran into a couple that had more requirements for homeschoolers than other applicants (UGA and Emory), but those were the exceptions.
    · Reply · Share
  • Aug2019Aug2019 201 replies15 threads Junior Member
    My S was homeschooled during HS and had no problem getting into schools that ranged from large state schools to selective LACs. Agree with @kokotg that some schools may require additional materials from homeschool applicants, but my S only ran into 1 that did out of the 12 he applied to. If there was a homeschool stigma, I think it has largely faded.
    · Reply · Share
  • PentaprismPentaprism 495 replies8 threads Member
    edited May 2019
    My D started being homeschooled when she was 8 yrs old. At 16, she had no problem getting accepted to different universities, small and large, private and public. She ended up matriculating at a flagship state university.
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • Aug2019Aug2019 201 replies15 threads Junior Member
    Our S homeschooled for high school, attended courses at our local community college, and had 10+ college acceptances - from large state schools to small LACs. We did not get the impression that he faced any discrimination from any of the ~12 schools he applied to this year.
    · Reply · Share
  • groppygroppy 5 replies1 threads New Member
    It's probably easier to discern which colleges are homeschool *unfriendly*, since most colleges we've interacted with are fine with homeschoolers. I'll start: SUNY schools are enormously unfriendly to homeschoolers and hold them to different admission standards than conventionally-schooled kids.
    · Reply · Share
  • AllGraceAllGrace 2 replies0 threads New Member
    My D applied as a homeschooler to 10 schools--the most homeschool friendly was Smith College and they are test optional which was a perk too. Any school that is holistic in its approach and encourages diverse applicants will likely be helpful and "friendly" to you as a homeschooler.
    · Reply · Share