Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best homeschooler friendly colleges

Collegeegal5Collegeegal5 Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
What are colleges that don’t discriminate being a homeschooler ( I have taken online classes- accredited) / will my transcript appear as a normal high school student, I have a counselor and teachers, but I chose to be homeschooled because I didn’t want to take the FSA and the EOC)

Replies to: Best homeschooler friendly colleges

• kokotgkokotg Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    In our experience, the vast majority of colleges are very homeschooler friendly. We ran into a couple that had more requirements for homeschoolers than other applicants (UGA and Emory), but those were the exceptions.
  • Aug2019Aug2019 Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    My S was homeschooled during HS and had no problem getting into schools that ranged from large state schools to selective LACs. Agree with @kokotg that some schools may require additional materials from homeschool applicants, but my S only ran into 1 that did out of the 12 he applied to. If there was a homeschool stigma, I think it has largely faded.
  • PentaprismPentaprism Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    edited May 10
    My D started being homeschooled when she was 8 yrs old. At 16, she had no problem getting accepted to different universities, small and large, private and public. She ended up matriculating at a flagship state university.
  • Aug2019Aug2019 Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    Our S homeschooled for high school, attended courses at our local community college, and had 10+ college acceptances - from large state schools to small LACs. We did not get the impression that he faced any discrimination from any of the ~12 schools he applied to this year.
  • groppygroppy Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    It's probably easier to discern which colleges are homeschool *unfriendly*, since most colleges we've interacted with are fine with homeschoolers. I'll start: SUNY schools are enormously unfriendly to homeschoolers and hold them to different admission standards than conventionally-schooled kids.