Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Am I considered "homeschooled"? What should I know?

2»

Replies to: Am I considered "homeschooled"? What should I know?

• Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek Registered User Posts: 4,499 Senior Member
    @FakeName1332 I have been homeschooling for 25 yrs and have graduated 5 of our kids from our homeschool. In my yrs of interacting with admissions, I am going to disagree that you will be considered homeschooled. You will more likely be classified as a non-traditional student. I would contact admissions and ask if you have an accredited transcript if you face additional requirements.

FWIW, our experience as straight forward homeschoolers is counter to what @cptofthehouse posted. My kids' transcripts have been accepted as valid representations of their coursework. Some of my kids have dual enrolled b/c that is the approach they wanted to take. Some haven't. My current college student (a rising jr) took only 1 dual enrollment course (spring of sr yr, so no grade during the college application season). She had no AP courses. We do not homeschool to replicate ps, so our approach to education does not climax with AP courses as the "goal." My kids have had advanced courses that represent their interests and their individual educational pursuits (like French history taken in French or a sr yr Shakespeare capstone thesis for English, etc.) I write thorough course descriptions describing their courses and our school profile provides the details for our educational philosophy.

But, all of that is moot b/c I don't think you will be considered homeschooled. That said, your admissions officer may be the same one that evaluates homeschoolers b/c non-traditional students and homeschoolers make up such a small percentage of applicants that they are often lumped together for review.
  • FakeName1332FakeName1332 Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    @mom2collegekids First off, kudos to you and your children! You sound like such an incredible mother-- your boys are lucky!

Thank you for your input. I have to say, I didn't really think I would be considered a homeschooled applicant, even after some comments said otherwise.

Regardless, the SAT IIs and all the stuff should still apply to me, although slightly less than a h-s app. The major thing that this does for me is allow me to ease off on the SAT 2s and maybe take 2 instead of 3. What a huge relief if that is the case, considering I would only do well in Literature and Math

Thank you for the help:)
  • JanieWalkerJanieWalker Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    Definitely ask the admissions people of the specific colleges in which you are interested. Some colleges will say they consider you a homeschooler and some won’t. I’ve been looking through many college admissions’ sites for my own daughter who uses an umbrella school and a lot of online classes. Some colleges want her to apply as a homeschooler even though she’ll end up with a diploma from an accredited school.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,901 Senior Member
    I homeschooled for a short period of time out of necessity. I found a group of incredible homeschooling families that were kind enough to include me into their network. One of the active moms also dealt with the state testing that was either required or recommended (I don’t remember which) each year and keeping a portfolio. This group was heavy on having kids go on to college and had a great success rate with kids going to CMU,Harvard, Duke, Pitt, GWzu and Villanova just in the short time I was there along with getting loads of merit money from a number of local schools.

Because this group did have college in their sites as a main purpose,they worked to optimize that result. SAT2s were very important in their scheme of things. Necessary? Probably not. Most schools will take homeschoolers that Have completed some recognized high school curriculum and the test scores. To get optimal results at all ranges of schools and get merit money, SAT2s and outside Recs are a big plus. The SAT2s do provide a level field in assessing the understanding of subject matter when it’s just the kid and the test questions with no mama or tutor in the picture.

My brother had his kids in a hybrid school situation right now. Online, homeschool and yet a lab school. No grades. The program has SAT2s and AP exams integral to it.

For some schools, those exams are vital for homeschoolers and online schools. The UCs, for example, want them.

It all depends on what options you want to pursue and to make it easier for the schools. I have known home schooled kids accepted to state schools with a ne’er a questions, no exams and parent generated grades. Then I know some states and schools on a GED.