Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Common Application Preview is Online--Homeschooling Supplement Changed Slightly

2»

Replies to: Common Application Preview is Online--Homeschooling Supplement Changed Slightly

• danasdanas Registered User Posts: 1,781 Senior Member
    hifi, why was private school chosen for this student?
    From what I've been able to divine, it seems that public universities tend to be governed more by formal rules and expectations in admissions, and that private institutions tend to have more room for judgment. This could work both ways of course (I've seen almost unbelievable anti-homeschool bias posted on these threads in regard to Davidson). But generally I would rather apply to a private as a home schooler.
    hifi...you may not have been asking me a question at all. Sorry!
    On the beard thing, my son would now being applying to college, instead of being a graduate! Yikes! And so true.
  • huguenothuguenot Registered User Posts: 514 Member
    I just typed "see attached transcript" on the back page of last year's homeschool supplement, because there was no way we could fit all his courses in some subjects on the form without abbreviating to the point of having no meaning. I hate to see the form get even more detailed, especially the request for *the* text.

Ever get the feeling that in trying to be "homeschool-friendly", they just display more and more of their ignorance?
  • 'rentof2'rentof2 Registered User Posts: 4,327 Senior Member
    I have one going to a private and one to a public. For us it was easier with the public because they have a procedure for admitting homeschoolers that's very simple: SAT, 2 SATIIs (one must be math), 2 years of foreign language. That's it. There are minimum scores required on the tests, but they are quite achievable. For the private it was... well, all the usual pile of hard data and soft supplementary stuff.

It certainly varies from college to college though.
  • hifihifi Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    they should also ask the parents of public school applicants -
    please, tell us why public school was chosen for this student.

just waiting for USNWR to rank home school organizations in the same manner as privae and public high schools.

wait. my kids attend a private educational institution - AT HOME.
  • hifihifi Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    private educational institution as in HOME SCHOOL
2»
This discussion has been closed.