Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Homeschool students' admission rate to Harvard/Princeton/Yale

13»

Replies to: Homeschool students' admission rate to Harvard/Princeton/Yale

• lolcats4lolcats4 Registered User Posts: 3,203 Senior Member
    my general impression is that among the Ivy schools, Yale is the most conservative, and almost hostile, in its approach to home schoolers.

^ That was also my parents' impression after talking to admissions officers from HYP.

For what it's worth, I was initially waitlisted at Harvard and Princeton, and rejected at Yale. (I was able to interview for Harvard and Princeton, but Yale didn't offer me an interview).

I always assumed that the majority of the schools I was applying to hadn't fully embraced (for lack of better word) homeschooled applicants. Format-wise, I tried to make my application the same as those of normal high-school applicants, while emphasizing in my recommendations and essays my unique academic and extracurricular accomplishments (many only possible because I was homeschooled).

Interestingly, the two most selective schools that admitted me, Pomona and Columbia, required homeschooled applicants to submit the results of FOUR SAT Subject Tests (not exactly the most homeschool-friendly admissions requirement), and may partially explain why I am the only homeschooled student in my class here at Pomona.
  • PVmusicmomPVmusicmom Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    Thank you for sharing your own HYP admission experience, lolcats4. In fact I saw your stats in 2013 Harvard forum, and I have then wondered why you didn't get an admission to Harvard. I thought you were well qualified homeschooler last year. Any thought?
  • PhysicsgrlPhysicsgrl Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Hi, I'm a freshman at Princeton this year. I was homeschooled all through high school. There were 11 homeschoolers accepted into the freshmen class (class of 2013).

ALSO: I got rejected from Harvard/Yale. Princeton is by far the most friendly of the three toward homeschoolers.
    MIT is extremely friendly towards homeschoolers - I saw at least 20 or so when I was browsing forums for the accepted class of 2013.

The biggest piece of advice for homeschooled students can be described in two words:
    Standardized tests.
    Buy review books, nail 5's on a bunch of AP tests, get good grades on the SAT.
    If you do, you'll get in.
    If you don't, you won't.
    It's that simple.
  • danasdanas Registered User Posts: 1,781 Senior Member
    Whoee! It helps a lot! Harvard long has had a reputation as welcoming to home schoolers. I'm happy to hear that Princeton is stepping it up! Maybe passing Harvard by! Welcome to the 21st Century.
    Maybe some day high school affiliation will be regarded as an embarrassing crutch to anybody with a mind.
  • lolcats4lolcats4 Registered User Posts: 3,203 Senior Member
    The biggest piece of advice for homeschooled students can be described in two words:
    Standardized tests.
    If you do, you'll get in.
    If you don't, you won't.
    It's that simple.

I think I agree with this.
    Physicsgrl, Congratulations for your getting admission from Princeton last year. I am revisiting your three quotes here.
    Princeton---There were 11 homeschoolers accepted into the freshmen class (class of 2013).
    I am hearing that there are 4 homeschooled freshman currently in Princeton. So, do you mean other remain 7 accepted homeschoolers didn’t choose Princeton? It’s hard for me to think that most admitted homeschooled kids to Princeton elected not to attend the school. Where is this info coming from?
    MIT is extremely friendly towards homeschoolers - I saw at least 20 or so when I was browsing forums for the accepted class of 2013.
    I went the thread to see what stats homeschoolers had for MIT. I only saw just two applicants in MIT class 2013 thread as a homeschooler last year, not 20 something. One was rejected in EA, another was deferred in EA but accepted in RD in the end. So I am not quite following your quote.
    The biggest piece of advice for homeschooled students can be described in two words: Standardized tests. Buy review books, nail 5's on a bunch of AP tests, get good grades on the SAT. If you do, you'll get in. If you don't, you won't. It's that simple.
    Do you mean HYP have been able to find only 0 to 8 homeschoolers with excellent standardized tests? I am afraid that it’s not that simple, and that why I am here to see how tricky it is to be accepted to those schools as a homeschooler.
  • GeekMom63GeekMom63 Registered User Posts: 1,957 Senior Member
    Standardized tests.

I agree. Obviously an oversimplification because the top-x schools have more qualified applicants than they have a place for, but getting the top scores proves that you are on-the-level so they can assess your unique learning as a homeschooler. Without the top scores, or community college grades, or international awards, you can certainly get in. But with outside validation, the school can easily see that you are good enough and can focus on finding out that your unique experiences make you someone they need.
  • applicannotapplicannot Registered User Posts: 4,366 Senior Member
    Do you mean HYP have been able to find only 0 to 8 homeschoolers with excellent standardized tests?

No, it means HYP has only been able to find/enroll 0-8 homeschoolers with excellent standardized test scores as well as a host of other redeeming qualities necessary for admission.
  • danasdanas Registered User Posts: 1,781 Senior Member
    Some evidence that standardized test scores are the currency of the realm.
    With my daughter applying ED to Princeton, I had six weeks to kill. I had heard about Naviance, a program for high school students that measured the results of previous applicants' GPAs and SATs with historic admissions results at particular colleges.
    I decided to create my own admissions matrix using SAT scores and (3) composite Subject Test Scores (required at the time by Princeton) and admissions results from the previous year's admissions to Princeton. My home schoolers had no GPAs, and I figured that for practical purposes, home schoolers had no such thing.
    My data source was the previous year's self-reported results on the College Confidential admissions thread. This was superior to Naviance data in a very important way. I screened out URMs, recruited athletes, and legacy applicants.
    There were about 100 reporting applicants after the screen.
    Of applicants with 2350 or more on each dimension, a large majority were admitted. I could dig up the exact numbers if I searched a bit. The only applicants with less than 2300 on the SAT (and unhooked) that were admitted had submitted arts portfolios of some kind, with maybe one or two exceptions. There were several people with 2400 composites on the SAT Subject tests who weren't admitted. My guess is that these were science and math oriented students, because the scores on these tests trend higher.
    Happily, my daughter had 2350 or more on both dimensions and was admitted.
    The "King has no clothes" element to this that was striking was that admissions results could be well predicted with NO knowledge of the high school record whatsoever. Just not a factor.
  • MendiMendi Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    While not an ivy league, I know UChicago has 13 freshman who listed themselves as homeschooled on a survey we had to fill out at the beginning of the year. :)
    Thank you very much, Mendi, for your great information about UChicago!
13»
This discussion has been closed.