right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Thursday, June 11 at 7pm ET to hear from students on how COVID-19 impacted their college plans and current on-campus experiences. Zai, Ethan, and Rohan will share information about their college and application experiences. REGISTER NOW!
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Do Whites have an advantage that attend HBCUs?

HowtonHowton 28 replies7 threads Junior Member
edited July 2013 in Howard University
Do you think whites belong here?
Are they accepted here?
Does it give them a leg up in the job market having an HBCU degree?
edited July 2013
3 replies
Post edited by Howton on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do Whites have an advantage that attend HBCUs?

• JAMCAFEJAMCAFE 659 replies7 threads Member
    Can't offer you a white perspective but my 2 cents:

Yes whites are accepted and welcomed at HBCUs. You'll have to make an extra effort to socialize since most AA picked it because it is predominantly AA. There are lots of internationals at HBCUs as well so many others will be trying to fit in. If you like standing out, odds are professors etc. will remember you.

I don't think it will give you a leg up but some interviewers will be surprised when they meet you after seeing HBCU on your resume - a topic to break the ice maybe. Some companies go out of their way to recruit at HBCU so that can be a plus.
    · Reply · Share
  • 908kiddo908kiddo 234 replies32 threads Junior Member
    Agree with everything the poster above me said.

And yes, you'll probably get a humongous boost in admissions.
    · Reply · Share
  • MandingoMandingo 55 replies10 threads Junior Member
    To me, it's pretty much the same as a black student going to a predominately white college? Will you stand out? Yes. Will that be a good or a bad thing? That's all up to you.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity