Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

CGPA, GPA, Percentage

2»

Replies to: CGPA, GPA, Percentage

• ENVY94ENVY94 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I disagree. I know people with a 4+ GPA in the American system who used to secure less than 60% in the Indian system. Everything apart from English is much harder in the Indian system. The fact that my marks got converted into a 4.0 GPA by a credit evaluation agency, even though I royally messed up grades 9 and 10 ( I was addicted to gaming :P), substantiates my view.
    Sorry, that last reply was for Tizil7.
  • tastyclestastycles Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    @anvesh: Class rank is far more important than GPA for internationals, so if you're counselor has mentioned you're top 10, it should be fine.

@ENVY: It's a lot harder for an American to switch to an Indian curriculum since they are not used to rote. The American system encompasses application and understanding, so it is easier to shift into. The course in most subjects is similar. Compare AP Physics C to std 11 and 12. Its very similar, but the way questions are asked is worlds apart.
  • Tizil7Tizil7 Registered User Posts: 1,686 Senior Member
    Envy94, your point in post #17 is correct, what is there to disagree?
    Tizil7, you said that there isn't much difference in the level of difficulty. I think there is. That's the point of disagreement.

tastycles, I don't know why people say that. Most of the questions in all the papers are conceptual, and the only thing that requires a bit of mugging up is Chemistry.
  • tastyclestastycles Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    I can't speak for CBSE, but their is a fair bit of mugging in ISC Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. As for Maths and Comp Sci, you don't have to, but to cross 95, you need to for certain steps in sums/programs.
  • rajas.rajas. Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    from which standard is grades for gpa considered?
2»
This discussion has been closed.