Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!
Mrinal2207Mrinal2207 Registered User Posts: 779 Member
edited February 2012 in India
Guys, I am in bit of dilemma. I am planning to take SAT this May as my SAT IIs are out of the way. But, I was googling I saw about the ACTs. I saw that the ACTs are easier to score as it consists of maths, science( Indian, u know!!) and more straightforward questions than the SATs. I am sure that I can score 35-36 in maths and science after the practise tests( I got all correct in maths and science) but I am unsure of the reading and english section as I have not done any prep.
Please help me guys and give some advice.....
Post edited by Mrinal2207 on

Replies to: Help guys

• Mrinal2207Mrinal2207 Registered User Posts: 779 Member
    sorry, missed an 'a' there!!!!
  • tastyclestastycles Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    Life is never better when you take the easier way out.
  • Tizil7Tizil7 Registered User Posts: 1,686 Senior Member
    Colleges equally weigh the SAT and ACTwW (ACT with Writing). Most people find the latter easier over the former. You should look at the practice tests for both and decide what works best for you.
  • shrey228shrey228 Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    Im not sure if the ACTs are conducted in india though, are they?
    ^^yes, they are.
    And thank u for ur responses.
    @tastycles, I value ur advice buddy, I also think the same way.
    I just asked this question bcoz I saw comments that said that ACT ques. are rather strsaihtforward.
  • Tizil7Tizil7 Registered User Posts: 1,686 Senior Member
    Ah. It's the not the easier way out. You'll see that getting a 36 on the ACT is just as difficult as getting a 2400 on the SAT. The ACT just provides an alternative to the SAT in terms of questions asked, format and time.
    yes, but I personally found ACT far more easier( I dont know why) and got a 34 on the practise test with no prep.
    So, thnk u guys for ur help and I will be going with the ACTs this June.

@tizil, I am just hoping to get 33+ on the ACTs.
  • Anirudha1993Anirudha1993 Registered User Posts: 424 Member
    Hey I found this piece on a website, don't know how true it is

3. SAT over ACT always

While the ACT is a challenging test and in many ways superior to the SAT, you should always take the SAT. When admissions offices have 2 borderline candidates – with roughly identical high school backgrounds and similar caliber of extracurricular achievements – the one who has a knockout SAT score will always look more impressive than one with a knockout ACT score.

Why? Because significantly fewer people take the ACT – standards are more varied, plus the vast majority of admissions officers took the SAT themselves and not the ACT. They’re familiar with it, and they know how hard it is to get a knockout score…not so with the ACT

Sent from my SGH-T959 using CC
    I was just on the phone with my cousin's gf, she is an alumni of Stanford who took interviews for Stanford this year, she said that ACTs are considered quite equally as the SATs and for borderline applicants with similar backgrounds but with ACTs and SATs, they prefer ACTs for Engineering Depts.( Maths/Physics) and SAT for liberal arts and English majors.
    Dont know what to make of it, so decided to give both of them a try.....
  • shrey228shrey228 Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    I feel the SATs seem more well-known and reputed. Just my opinion though, no harm in taking both..
  • desivaderdesivader Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    SAT and ACT is considered equally. Since both are considered, it would count as discrimination if an adcom favored someone who took SAT over ACT. So it serves common sense that both will be considered equally.

What the adcoms took themselves doesn't matter. They are professionals in evaluating students from across the globe with their hugely varied scores, ECs, CCs, essays and recs, so I don;t think they'd discriminate just on this factor.

If you think you can do better relatively in ACT, go for it.
This discussion has been closed.