Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Harvard Interview

2»

Replies to: Harvard Interview

• HCaulfieldHCaulfield Registered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    "I knew I won't get into Harvard" :O

Why so pessimistic? The afore mentioned friend helped me realize ki thats a pretty fail way of heading to March 29th.
  • hm2711hm2711 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Ya you're right - Harvard might be honest after all when they say that lack of interview doesn't have a negative impact on the application.
  • MyHandIsADolphinMyHandIsADolphin Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Don't worry so much about Harvard. You'll be happy wherever you end up going.
    Admission to HYSPM and other crazily selective colleges is more like winning a lottery than anything else...Like, after a point,it is.
  • Mrinal2207Mrinal2207 Registered User Posts: 779 Member
    Yes, if u get into HYPSM, u were qualified and worth it,
    If u dont get in, its more of lottery, Ivies is just a name :p
    @Mrinal

No! It ain't that way. Ivy-Admission IS a lottery. Because there are just so many qualified candidates and so few spaces...it is reduced to that. And more so, for internationals.
    ^^ just kidding man, I have lurked around CC enough to know that getting into Ivies is A lottery, just looking at the size and the strength of the applicant pool makes me dizzy.

Just imparting little sense of humour to the discussion, u all can continue......
  • Tizil7Tizil7 Registered User Posts: 1,686 Senior Member
    Ivy admissions is NOT a lottery. Just because so many people applied, doesn't mean your chances are low. Of course, it is a lottery for those who are applying just for the heck of it. Similarly for MIT, Stanford or any other school.

Let me make it more clear ... imagine a person with a 60% average throughout high school, no extracurriculars and average writing abilities. Georgia Tech would be a lottery for this person. UIUC would be a lottery. Get the point?

Another example is the UPSC exam ... in 2002, ~300,000 people applied but only ~157,000 appeared for the actual exam. Now some would say that the two processes aren't comparable because the level of competition in the UPSC isn't as cut-throat as the level in Ivy (or other top university) admissions. *However*, once you skim through few ~57,000 people who have no intention of seriously competing, you still have ~100,000 applicants vying for ~1000 spots. That's a 1% chance. I know people who have taken this exam thrice and each time, secured a rank of <100.

In short, none of the admissions I just talked about are lotteries. The only way you can get rejected, if you are a strong applicant (strong from the POV of admissions officers. NOT from your POV), is due to some idiosyncratic whim of the majority of the admissions committee. Eg. Tufts.
    ^^ What I meant to say was Tizil, Ivy admissions are not a complete hell of a lottery, but the giant pool of the applicants make them a lot harder to get in.
    I completely agree with ur second point, the POV of the adcoms is the most important thing in colleges admissions.

PS. Tizil, wanted to PM u about an issue I have....
  • Tizil7Tizil7 Registered User Posts: 1,686 Senior Member
    Go ahead Mrinal :)
    @Tizil

I believe it is a lottery on one level. Out of the 35,000 that apply to say a Stanford...there are about 5000-odd extremely qualified/interesting/tough to choose between applicants. And when that list is winnowed down to 2000 or 1500 or whatever, the lottery-ness is bound to creep in.
2»
This discussion has been closed.