right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

All New Applicants- The Process and Timeline

Replies to: All New Applicants- The Process and Timeline

• squint182squint182 21 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 27 New Member
    @anialways Thanks but I need to know specifically like, form 16AS, etc. Is there any other such tax forms I should know of?
    · Reply · Share
  • anialwaysanialways 1193 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,210 Senior Member
    Form 16 is the tax return form. I am sure that would be a required document.
    · Reply · Share
  • ThekoolchickThekoolchick 3 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Is it too late to start applying for universities now??
    · Reply · Share
  • anialwaysanialways 1193 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,210 Senior Member
    The college applications opened on August 1,2013. For most colleges submission deadline is January 1, 2013. So you are good to go.
    · Reply · Share
  • ThekoolchickThekoolchick 3 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Thankyouu!!....and do u have any idea which colleges r good for physiotherapy and give financial aid???
    · Reply · Share
  • reliablecanadareliablecanada 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Dear all this is my first post.In one of the posts i read ..........

""The Qualities Colleges Want

“What is it that makes you unique, and how will you contribute to the life of our campus?” That’s what admission officers want to know. To gauge what students can bring to their campus, they look for these types of qualities:

Leadership

A willingness to take risks

Initiative

A sense of social responsibility

A commitment to service

Special talents or abilities

Overall, colleges want a mix of students to create a rich campus community.

My question is does it help if a child joins NCC National Cadet corps.All these above mentioned skills and much more are taught to a cadet which starts at the age of 13.
    thanks in adavnce.
    · Reply · Share
  • 257448257448 19 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20 New Member
    I require some help from you (anialways)
    I am Indian student looking forward for undergraduate studies in USA and Singapore. I want to major in Computer-Sciences. I am confused as I am unable to decide which university to apply for ?

MY SAT-I was not as good as SAT-II.
    SAT-I in January CR:450 W:470 M:800 TOTAL=1720
    SAT-I in May CR:480 W:560 M:740 TOTAL=1780
    SAT-I IN June CR:490 W:610 M:750 TOTAL=1850
    SAT-Highest with all 3 sittings CR:490 W:610 M:800 TOTAL=1900

SAT-II in first sitting in November
    Maths Level 2 : 800 Physics : 800 Chemistry : 800

I obtained 9.6 cgpa off 10.0 in 10th grade. I am sure to secure above 90% in Indian 12 standard CBSE exams.

I am also good chess player who has won gold-medals at district level competitions and participation at state and national level competitions
    I was selected Best-Chess player and captain of school's under-19 chess team.
    I have won MS-PowerPoint presentation competitions at inter-house, inter-school and tri-city level competitions
    I was selected Best-computer wizard of the school and the house.
    I have been student body head of school newsletter publishing department and reported directly to vice-principal and house mistress.

Now, the problem I am facing is that I dont know which colleges/universities I should apply to. With perfect scores in SAT-II some of my friends told me to apply to elite colleges like Ivy league, but I think they are crazy. Some people say with 1850/1900 in SAT-I you are not going to get into even good universities like UCSD and Ohio State university what to talk about Ivy league.
    · Reply · Share
    Few things,

You have not mentioned anything about your Class 9 and 11 scores.

Yes your SAT -I is on the lower side. But sometimes the universities will look at your Subject SAT because it is related to your Major. But I would worry a little about the low CR score.

Your ECs are fine.

Aiming for Ivy, my personal opinion, is great. But it is not the end all, be all. Remember of the 3000 odd colleges in US if you just aimed for the Top 50, you are in a good place. All of them offer great education, environment, opportunities. And with your scores and ECs you should be able to get into one of those. Although SATs are one of the first filters of your application. But great academic GPA and SAT Subject scores should make up for that.

Why I say Top 50, is because as a parent, if I am spending insane amount of money on my child's education it better be one of those. Otherwise I would advise to get an undergrad degree from India and go for Master's to US.

So expand your options. There are many wonderful colleges. So make a list of about 20 Colleges, 5 Dream ones, 15 Match and 5 Safeties. And then rank them through your filters of Location, size, major, Recruiter Ranking, Placement Stats, Tuition...and others that you can think of. Then on the basis of this exercise trim that list down to 10-15 colleges. You are sure to find your fit.
    · Reply · Share
  • minato96minato96 82 replies21 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    100th post
    · Reply · Share
  • prachipriyamprachipriyam 30 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Hello, sorry for posting here but my when I invited my counselor, he got an invite in his mail and he opted to fill my details online. When he clicked on the link it redirects him on the main page of commomapp with no further instructions. Does he have to make an account? If yes, then how. The only create account link he saw was the applicant one in which there is a column asking whether one is a freshmen or transfer student, which I do not think is correct. Please help.
    · Reply · Share
    Just googled this,

"When you create an account on the Common App Online, you must first indicate what
    high school you attend. Once this information has been saved, you can access a 'School
    Forms' section of the Common App where teachers and counselors can be identified. By
    adding a teacher or counselor to the list of school officials, an email is triggered to the
    teacher or counselor with information about how to log into the Online School Forms
    system or how to opt for the "offline" or paper process. You are then able to track the
    progress of your teachers and counselors via a screen within the Common App Online.

o Confirm with your teachers and counselor that they have received the email invitation."

Also,

MyCollegeCalendar Blog: The 2012-2013 Common Application Letters of Recommendation - How to ?Invite? Teachers and Counselors

"10. The next step is to invite all of your teacher recommenders. On the same “School Forms” page, click on the “Invite Official” button below the name of your counselor.
    - In the “Personal Data” box, click the "Teacher" bubble.
    - Enter your teacher’s title, name, and e-mail address.
    - In the “Teachers Only” box, click on “Select” in the small window and choose the subject taught by this teacher from the pull-down list of subjects.
    - Click the “Send Invitation” button on the page bottom.

11. To invite additional teachers, click again on the "Invite Official" button below your counselor’s name in the “Recommenders” box.

12. Repeat the steps described in 10. above to add additional teachers.

13. After you have added all of your teacher recommenders, on the same "School Forms" page, click on the name of one of your colleges shown at the center top of the page in the dark red “My Colleges” box.

14. Near the page bottom, click on “Select” in the small window and choose the name of a teacher who is to send a letter of recommendation to this college.

15. Click the “Save” button at the page bottom.

16. If you wish to have an additional teacher send a letter of recommendation to this college, click the “Add Recommendation” button at the page bottom and repeat 14. and 15. above.

17. Repeat 13. through 16. above for each of your colleges.

18. Your counselor and teachers will be contacted via e-mail from the Common Application website to complete and submit their recommendation online.'
    · Reply · Share
  • prachipriyamprachipriyam 30 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Thanks @anialways, you are always helpful
    · Reply · Share
    Welcome....happy to help....always.
    · Reply · Share
  • feroz007feroz007 38 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Please chance me (anialways)
    Hi Guys!

I will be very pleased if you chance me.
    Here are my stats:

SAT: CR- 600, Math- 700, Writting: 580 (1880)
    SAT Subjects: Math-2 750, Phy: 720 Che: 710
    Toefl iBt: 103/120

12th mid term: 98%( A.P. State board)
    11th Final: 97%( A.P. state- board conducted exam)
    10&9th : 10 CGPA ( CBSE)
    Good rec letters from phy,math,Eng teachers
    Average Ecs
    120 hours Community Service
    1st Generation
    Good Essays

I'm freaking out!! I know SAT is less but I didn't apply to Ivies though...
    Chance me based on your past experiences for these Universities
    Thanks.

1. Georgia Tech
    2. UIUC
    3. University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
    4. Purdue - West Laffayette
    5. Ohio State Uni
    6. Penn State- University Park
    7. NC state- Raleigh
    8. Fordham

Thanks!!!
    Post edited by feroz007 at 6:08PM