right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

The Indian Thread #22 AKA Class of 2018 admissions

Replies to: The Indian Thread #22 AKA Class of 2018 admissions

• journeyinwardsjourneyinwards 128 replies16 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    For all you people preparing for the JEE (and other engineering entrances in the process) and for applications in the US, consider the following:
    1. BITS Pilani : (Comp Sci Course > that of IITB in some ways) BITSAT is NOT as difficult as JEE, ISC and CBSE students have an edge over students of other boards.
    2. Shiv Nadar University (SNU) : The new kid on the block, but has great opportunities (Like a double major in econ+engg). And its trump card is the Carnegie Mellon CSE course which is = the degree you'd get from the CMU campus in the States. Cuts down costs tremendously, while giving you a chance to study for most of the time at CMU itself. What Ive posted is just the tip of the iceberg. Check their website, you CSE guys would love it.
    Requirements:
    TOEFL, SAT, Transcript,ACT etc (for the CMU course)
    JEE Main and Board marks (for other courses)
    · Reply · Share
  • journeyinwardsjourneyinwards 128 replies16 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Another thing about BITS : Their post grad placements are amazing (Stanford, Berkeley to name a few). But again, for CSE at BITS, you must totally ace the BITSAT :P
    · Reply · Share
  • IndiestudentIndiestudent 85 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    There's something I've always wanted to ask. Are essay editing sites like essayrx.com, admissionsessay.net etc good? Is it worth it? Please Advise. :D
    · Reply · Share
  • quiverfoxquiverfox 866 replies22 threadsRegistered User Member
    I doubt it Indiestudent
    · Reply · Share
    @quivefox I think so too. I was looking forward to get some reviews from the forum members. :D. So what do you all think?
    · Reply · Share
  • aadharjainaadharjain 10 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I am an Indian applicant with an 80% in 12th and 9.2 CGPA in 10th and a 2000 SAT score, I was wishing to applying to Gtech for the later years, but initially I wanna go for the community or state colleges to reduce down the cost.
    I had short listed Georgia Perimeter College for this purpose, but most of the people around me have advised me not to go for the community colleges as there are academic and future security problems according to them. Is that true?
    Any other suggestion for a cheap college in Atlanta which could help me go to Gtech in the 3rd year?
    · Reply · Share
  • BChanakyaBChanakya 107 replies14 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    aadharjain. DON'T GO TO COMMUNITY COLLEGE
    I would be better to go for undergrad in India if you have financial troubles
    · Reply · Share
    Why is that so? I mean what are the problems in community colleges? And can all of them be considered the same?
    And what about the state universities there?
    · Reply · Share
    Will taking SAT subject tests on October affect my app? Please advise. And btw how is the SAT subject tests? None of my colleges require SAT subject tests. Then, should I take it? Please advise. I'm really confused. :S
    · Reply · Share
    Okay guys, I'm not taking it. *meh* So, what's up? How are you guys?
    · Reply · Share
  • quiverfoxquiverfox 866 replies22 threadsRegistered User Member
    aadharjain..true. pls do your undergrad course here..Its better than comm. college there.
    · Reply · Share
  • texaspgtexaspg 16501 replies340 threadsForum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Forum Champion
    Does an Indian Student get a visa to attend a community college in US?
    · Reply · Share
    What about the state universities there?
    · Reply · Share
  • texaspgtexaspg 16501 replies340 threadsForum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Forum Champion
    What about them?
    · Reply · Share
  • deconstructeddeconstructed 1 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hello everyone! I am an old CCer. I'm from India, and when I was applying to colleges in the States, TiT was still in its 18th avatar. I don't quite understand what has made me return to this forum. Perhaps, its just nostalgia because I'm now entering my senior year of college here in the States. Either way, its great to see that this thread is still going strong. Now that I'm here, I've decided to make a list of a few things that I wish I had known when I was in your position.

But before I begin, I wanted to state a few things at the outset. Firstly, I'm not going to reveal which school I'm at. That way it would be very easy for you to figure out who I am; I'm trying to distance myself from my previous CC profile. I'm just not the same person anymore (college does that to you). Secondly, I'm willing to answer questions that you people may have. Just don't ask me specific questions about myself, or ask me to "chance" you, or send me your application essay to critique.

Now that thats said, here's a list of things that I would implore you fellow to CCers think about.

1. Friends - Honestly, this forum just makes me think about the wonderful friends that I made. I met quite a few wonderful people through TiT and when we made it to the States, we even went on a Spring break trip together! Lots of fun was had. So here's my advice, MEET OTHER CCers IN PERSON. I'm sure most of you are in different cities, but you should try and organize something that brings those of you in the same city together. When you share your angst about getting into your dream school with somebody else, who represents a lot more than just a screen name, you start building a support system that will be much needed as the pressure mounts and the deadline nears. Also, these friends will really help you out if and when you do end up going to America/UK/wherever you find yourself. Like I said earlier, I went on a spring break trip with friends I made here. I crashed in some of their dorm rooms, we got really drunk together, and had a **** ton of fun. Bottom line, add each other on fb and do things together.

2. Admissions - I know the uncertainty that faces you. Even after four years, I find myself in the same boat again. I'm applying to grad school. So, I'm fretting about essays, recommendations, GREs, and all that ******** again. The truth is that there will always be uncertainty. You've just got to deal with it by staying positive and looking at other options. If I don't get into grad school, and if I don't find a job, I'm just going to bum around India and find something to do. There's always other options, its just about being open to try new things and expanding your skill set.

3. Academics - I'm majoring in English. I'm a humanities guy. When I first arrived in college, I was convinced that I was going to double major in econ and math and minor in computer science. Then I took an English class. And I realized that I needed to completely change my outlook to education. I kept looking at college as another stage that I must cross in order to find material success. Then I realized that education is a lot more than a means to an end. What you learn doesn't just come to define a part of who you are, it also develops in you a perspective with which to approach the world. Studying the humanities has helped me to expand that perspective. Honestly, I think its taught me how to live my life. So, here's my mantra when it comes to figuring out what you want to major in - do what you enjoy the most. Don't worry about securing a future. If you enjoy what you study, you will be good at it. And you will figure out a way to leverage what you learn. Trust me. Do what you like. It will bring you happiness. But this leads to a much larger question - do we even know what we like studying? Can we answer this question based on our experiences in high school? I think the answer is NO. Most of my friends have changed trajectory since they have gone to college. Why? Because they took classes that they never thought they would. They experimented and tried something new. The liberal arts system, which I completely adore, encourages this kind of experimentation. Its an amazing thing. Don't be afraid to do stuff that you never saw yourself doing. If you can take the risk of travelling to the States to study, you can definitely take the risk of spending a semester studying medieval art and architecture. What you learn might surprise you. More importantly, you will see first hand what else is on offer.

This is all I have for now. But if I think about other things to pontificate about, I will write about them here.
    · Reply · Share
  • anishbasuanishbasu 70 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @deconstructed I agree fully! Best of luck for your senior year, it'll just whiz past by!
    · Reply · Share
  • fall2016parentfall2016parent 801 replies22 threadsRegistered User Member
    @deconstructed - thanks for coming back to CC to encourage the newcomers.
    Yes, this country can give a lot of flexibility in what you graduate in, my only voice of caution would be - most people pay for it by arm and leg so indian students usually do not have the luxury of trying different courses so one must be cognizant of that.
    · Reply · Share
  • SahilCSahilC 180 replies35 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @deconstructed thanks!

@ Indie - sup bro! My inbox isn't working on the Tapatalk app for some reason -_- how's it going? I'm working on my applications essay and narrowing down the school choices! You?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    · Reply · Share
  • JawBoneJawBone 9 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hey Guys :) Has anyone seriously started working on their applications ?:P
    INDIESTUDENT.... I gave my SAT subject tests. got a 800 in Math level 2 and 710 in physics. I know physics is bad but i prepared without a book. I recommend byting the Barron's for physics, cause I've seen it helps...
    Cheers
    · Reply · Share
  • SahilCSahilC 180 replies35 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Wow that's great JawBone! I'll be taking it in October most likely. I hope I do as well as you guys!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity