right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The Indian Thread #22 AKA Class of 2018 admissions

Replies to: The Indian Thread #22 AKA Class of 2018 admissions

• BHhazyBHhazy 307 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 321 Member
    Hi,
    Guys which school results should i upload on the common app? Pre-board and send ups ? How do i upload em?
    Thanks in advance
    · Reply · Share
  • hezekielhezekiel 260 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 285 Junior Member
    Actually, you don't upload them. Your counselor does that through his/her profile.
    · Reply · Share
    Hezekiel i know that .. which one is the mid year report? The send ups?
    · Reply · Share
    My class rank in 9th grade's internal exams is around 9/170 ? Is it good , average or excellent?
    Please reply guys
    Thanks
    · Reply · Share
  • journeyinwardsjourneyinwards 128 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    @BHHazy, chill :P Though it is important, school rank is not everything, especially if you're applying to a top uni. That's because almost every Indian {read:Asian} studies nearly all day long (sadly, that doesn't include me :] ) and adcoms don't want study machines, they want unique kids. Also, a lot of schools fake scores on the transcripts for students applying abroad, a whole LOT of them.

Anyway, your 9th grade rank won't matter too much. 9/170 is quite good a rank though.
    · Reply · Share
  • HatsOnAKabobHatsOnAKabob 11 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12 New Member
    I wonder how many people have a 2300+. I don't , I gave my SAT in Jan without studying (I was swamped at the time). Haven't found time since. Any clue?
    · Reply · Share
  • texaspgtexaspg 16478 replies340 discussionsForum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,818 Forum Champion
    There are a few thousand although probably not many applying from India.

http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/research/SAT-Percentile-Ranks-Composite-CR-M-W-2013.pdf

The Indians should compensate for it on science and math subject tests.
    · Reply · Share
  • Liger007Liger007 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I'll be applying to about 25 colleges (top 20 according to USN, pretty much, with the exception of Purdue and a couple others). Hoping to God I make it into a good one 'cause I'll hate it if I have to go to an Indian university (Amity is my only option if it comes to that LOL!)

I got 1740 in the June SAT. I'll give it again in December. Hoping to get over 2200. I know that's ambitious but I'm sure I can get that.

I don't have any great EC's and my only hope if that being a full-pay international student is enticing enough for some of these colleges (especially the public ones like UC's).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/education/31college.html?ref=admissions
    http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/21/full-price/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/05/education/international-students-pay-top-dollar-at-us-colleges.html
    ^^I'll leave those links here for those who're going to argue that being full pay wont help me. It obviously wont get me into Harvard but there are plenty of highly ranked public universities in the States...
    · Reply · Share
  • HatsOnAKabobHatsOnAKabob 11 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12 New Member
    I heard there's a Facebook group. Would appreciate if somebody could add me to it.
    · Reply · Share
  • student1103student1103 1 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey dudes.
    I'm from Chennai (:
    Have any of you done the SAT Subject Tests? The October scores just came out and I'm pretty depressed with the way I've performed :/ 740 in math level 2 and a 700 in physics. I was super surprised, I thought i did amazing in physics! The math doesn't bother me so much, but considering I'm applying to schools like Northwestern, the UCs and Johns Hopkins...meh.

And I can't even retake them. WHAT THE HELL. -.-
    · Reply · Share
  • indiesindies 17 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 17 New Member
    got a not so good SAT score ( Maths 800 , CR 600 ). I am planning to apply to Cornell engineering , ED. Is there a chance ? I am confident that i'll get 800 in my maths 2 and chem subject tests?
    · Reply · Share
  • TubacaflacaTubacaflaca 81 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    Liger 007: If you're going to be applying to the top 20 colleges on the US news and world report rankings, you should know that 95% of them are private and not public. And yes, not applying for financial aid will boost your chances at most of those college except for those that are need blind to international students amusing you have an indian passport. And should've taken the SAT in october or november, most college super score and wouldn't know how many times you've taken the test. People usually only improve 100-200 points between consecutive tests.

Bh hazy: Your class rank of 9/170 puts you in the top 6% which is great.

student 1103, the subject sat's are fairly straightforward. I did pretty well on math, phy, chem and french. Physics especially has a lenient curve, you can get an 800 with 7-8 questions answered wrong.
    · Reply · Share
  • codeguycodeguy 216 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 234 Junior Member
    Yes, there is a facebook group for people like us. PM me and I'll add you.
    · Reply · Share
  • texaspgtexaspg 16478 replies340 discussionsForum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,818 Forum Champion
    There are negative points for wrong answers. Although it shows 10-11 wrong, 8 wrongs make 10 negatives.
    · Reply · Share
  • BestOfTheBestBestOfTheBest 14 replies1 discussions- Posts: 15 New Member
    ^I included the guessing penalty :)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity