right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

The Indian Thread #22 AKA Class of 2018 admissions

Replies to: The Indian Thread #22 AKA Class of 2018 admissions

• anishbasuanishbasu 70 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Indie, shoot me a PM, I'll look at it and let you know :).
    · Reply · Share
  • amoghsoodamoghsood 39 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Great Thread. 18'er too. Gave the june SAT and currently waiting for my result (fingers crossed). So I am planning on putting down the following unis as my free sat score recipients:

Vanderbilt
    UChicago
    Rice (maybe)
    URochester(maybe)

I am expecting a good score and will be applying to the ivies as well but I really don't want to send them my scores before seeing them first. So what do you think of these choices??

Registered for TOEFL on 15th June..and from what I gather the toefl requirement can be waived if you get a good sat cr score, right? I hope to land a 700+.. and I know this sounds silly, but will the college admission officers find it fishy that I appeared for the test even though i did not need too?

Oh and those of you who have given the toefl, any tips on preparation?? I went through some material and it seemed easy, easier than the sat atleast. I study in an english medium school and I am comfortable with the language, so with a week or two left for the test, what kind of preparation would you recommend?
    · Reply · Share
  • hopingforbetterhopingforbetter 794 replies17 threadsRegistered User Member
    I liked the way you chose not to include the Ivies among your free score recipients. Actually, I can't comment on your choices without knowing you and your priorities. But on a general note, your choices are good except UChicago. UChicago must be treated the same as any Ivy. SAT scores, along with the quirky essays, play a big role at UChicago.

Actually what is the need to take TOEFL if you scored 700+ on the SAT CR? TOEFL is definitely not something anybody would be passionate about! Also, if you were to get a 700 on SAT CR, you are most probably going to get above 110 on TOEFL with ease. Don't worry about the preparation. You can do very well without any proper prep too.
    · Reply · Share
  • IndiestudentIndiestudent 85 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I got 600 CR and 114 TOEFL. :)For the SAT I guess something kinda happened. TOEFL Prep: All I did was get a good night's sleep. Concentrate on the format of the test and speaking section. And do just 1 practice test. :thumbup: :D
    · Reply · Share
  • confusedhexagonconfusedhexagon 88 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hey, one more '18er here. I think I posted a stupid chance me thread a few months back, but I don't think anyone noticed, so... I'm from Howrah, my school is in Kolkata; I'm weird, random, annoying, and ALWAYS confused. :)
    You know, I have a weird college list- 14 colleges, all reaches and high reaches. Seriously. I have IISc (Indian Institute of Science), ISI (Indian Statistical Institute) and CMI (Chennai Mathematical Institute) as safeties here, so I guessed that I could take the risk. I want to major in math, pure math and I've been involved with the math olympiad programme since 9th grade. Cleared the regional MO in 9th and 10th and the national MO in 10th. Attended the team selection camp as a part of the Junior Batch in 10 and as a member of the Senior Batch this year i.e. in 11. I won the Best Solution Award in my first year. Both years, I failed to get into the team. (I was hopeless last year, but missing out this year felt truly horrible.) :(
    But actually, that gives me something to sulk about on my Common App essay, I guess. :D

Now for stats and how my app will look on paper.

SAT I:
    2240/2400: 800M 720CR 720(8)W. Wasted time on the essay and the bad start ensured a sub-2300 score. After much thought, decided not to take it again.

SAT II:
    2400/2400: 800M2 800PH 800CH.

School grades, transcript:
    Transcript will NOT be brilliant. Average grade A, with some A+ and AA's (in math and sciences) but also a couple of B's and one C (in Bengali this year).

Activities, awards, etc:
    I'm an NTSE Awardee (State Rank 3) and a KVPY Fellow (AIR 29). I have some fake olympiad (SOF) awards as well, but I'm never going to count them. Math olympiad is one activity I was truly passionate about (and still am, despite screwing up at the camp this year- I do have one more year to go.) Apart from that I have quizzing. I've been quizzing from 5th grade and I love it. Sadly, we do not have official leadership positions in the quiz club. I've done some other things- recitation to painting to swimming to creative writing to chess to cricket- but I'll be lying if I claim to have been anything other than below average at them. And my school does not have a ton of clubs, it's certainly not a feeder. I'm not sure, but I might try to resurrect the school math club (it is uncannily like a phoenix in its tendency to die and resurrect periodically). I've started doing some pretty cool college math (started topology, real analysis, etc.) after the camp, but I don't suppose that counts while applying to college... I'm lazy, I procrastinate, but I do like learning stuff. Actually, I intend to experiment with a lot of things in college before I finally take a decision on my major.

Recommendations:
    Our school has a total of 13K students, with 5K+ in the high school. The principal doesn't know me well, we've only talked a couple of times, and she's going to be the counselor. So I'm apprehending a good but predictable (impersonal) recommendation from her. Hopefully, the other recommendations will be better. Let's see. Should I try and get one from one of my MO teachers?

My college list:
    MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Brown, Cornell, Duke, UPenn, UChicago, Williams, Amherst and Harvey Mudd. Feel free to suggest changes. And yes, I do know that there's ABSOLUTELY no point in applying to YPSM and Caltech. I just want to make sure that I don't have any "what if I'd applied" moments later. The one college I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY keen on is UChicago, but I know that I'm headed for a rejection from each and every college on that list.

My biggest drawback would probably be that I need financial aid (and a LOT of it,) to go to the US for my UG.

So, umm, hello. I hope that all of us get into some cool places. I'm always lurking on these forums but I'm usually too lazy to post.

P.S. Is anyone else MASSIVELY excited by the UChicago Uncommon App essay prompts? I love the fact that they're so quirky. I don't write well (and that's putting it mildly), but I can't wait to get started!

P.P.S. As you may have noticed, I'm quite the parentheses-holic. :D
    · Reply · Share
  • SahilCSahilC 180 replies35 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    No one here anymore? :O

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    · Reply · Share
  • confusedhexagonconfusedhexagon 88 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Looks like it. Apparently, I'm quite the buzzkill. :D
    · Reply · Share
  • mathsoulmathsoul 115 replies19 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Confusedhexagon - You are great! :D
    · Reply · Share
    Haha, sorry buddy. Didn't really know what to say; your stats look so excellent. :p

· Reply · Share
    Hey guys!
    Just got my second SAT result back. Got a 1930.
    At least I improves over last time :)
    My reading score dropped from 560 to 520. Math increased from 660 to 700,and writing from 630 to 710.

What do you guys think?

· Reply · Share
  • anialwaysanialways 1193 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Overall jump of 80 points looks good.

I would worry about the reading score. A 600 would have been decent.
    · Reply · Share
    Some colleges superscore. That means if you appear for SAT more than once, of all those, they will consider the best of Math, Writing and CR. In your case that translates to M-700, CR-560 and W-710 which makes your superscore 1970.

But that 560 should worry you just a little bit.
    · Reply · Share
  • hopingforbetterhopingforbetter 794 replies17 threadsRegistered User Member
    Get it over 600! In my opinion, anything less than a 600 wouldn't look good. Mine was below 600 (590 to be exact). I seriously think that it hindered my chances by more than a little.
    · Reply · Share
  • amoghsoodamoghsood 39 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Got my June SAT results today: 2190 composite. CR 730 Writing 780 Math 680 (bummer)
    Disappointed with my scores..I need some perspective. I am currently planning on applying to Cornell, Princeton, johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Rice, Ohio State Uni and Cincinnati

I plan to major in Molec Bio or Biochemistry.

I have been told that all my top preferences are "high reach" for me considering my decent-ish sat scores and also the fact that I am an international seeking financial aid.

I really doubt that I will be able to retake the SAT, but should I? What are my chances at these schools if I apply with these scores (I have good EC's and well write good essays and get good LORs)

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1517928-chances-cornell-princeton-jhu.html#post16074177 (A chance thread that I put up today...if you can chance me, please.)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    · Reply · Share
    @anialways & @hopingforbetter
    This is my second SAT. I probably won't get a chance to take it again though. :(

With school exams, and IIT JEE, things are busy.
    And I probably won't be able to afford top universities like Cornell anyways. We are thinking more along the lines of SUNY Stony Brooke, etc.

· Reply · Share
    I would not recommend a third SAT attempt either. That again can look negative sometimes. Instead if you can and wish to, take a Subject SAT in a subject that will reflect your strength in the program you want to pursue.

Also best thing to do is pick a program, then find a list of colleges that offer that, and then shortlist the colleges that fit your SAT and GPA scores based on cutoff Stats for the Class of 2017 Freshman for each of those colleges. And once you have done that, then use your filters of Tuition cost, location, size, campus type and so on and so forth to get a final list of about 15 colleges you can apply to.
    · Reply · Share
  • IndiestudentIndiestudent 85 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Guys, sorry for being away for some time. I went for the district photography competition (and yeah, won it ;) which means one more stuff in my ECs xD. So what's up, people? @SahilC Congrats on getting good scores. @anialways Is an increase of 80 considered good? :eek: I got an increase of 210 from my first SAT. I studied on my own both times. Please advise.
    · Reply · Share
    @anialways - Yep, I'll be taking Physics and Math. I just wish there was a Computer Science subject test, because that's what I'm genuinely interested in and what I'm best at.

Yeah, me and my dad went through most of the colleges in the locations that we prefer (near friends and family preferably) and also according to fees.
    We made three categories for high end, medium, and low. Currently we haven't really narrowed it down; there's still too many. We'll have to work on thattt.

@indie thanks man! Congrats to you too!

· Reply · Share
  • 02agarwalt02agarwalt 40 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Whoever is having trouble with the SAT, try the ACT. It focuses less on English/Writing, and colleges view both SAT and ACT the same way. You can use scores from the test you did best on.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes some people do better in ACTs. To understand why, you must read the following links. It will also help you understand which format would work better for you.

The SAT vs. the ACT | SAT ACT Comparison
    The SAT vs. the ACT

Frequently Asked Questions | What is the difference between the ACT and SAT? | ACT Student

"What is the difference between the ACT and SAT?

The ACT is an achievement test, measuring what a student has learned in school. The SAT is more of an aptitude test, testing reasoning and verbal abilities.

The ACT has up to 5 components: English, Mathematics, Reading, Science, and an optional Writing Test. The SAT has only 3 components: Critical Reasoning, Mathematics, and a required Writing Test.

The College Board introduced a new version of the SAT in 2005, with a mandatory writing test. ACT continues to offer its well-established test, plus an optional writing test. You take the ACT Writing Test only if required by the college(s) you're applying to.

The SAT has a correction for guessing. That is, they take off for wrong answers. The ACT is scored based on the number of correct answers with no penalty for guessing.

The ACT has an Interest Inventory that allows students to evaluate their interests in various career options."

Also you should read this,

SAT Tip: How Do the SAT and ACT Tests Differ? - Businessweek

How Do the SAT and ACT Tests Differ?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity