Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Questions From a Worried Sophomore

PassionatePoetPassionatePoet Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
edited April 2015 in India
Ok.. so in my 9th and 10th grade school, the teachers collect a student profile, where they keep our certificates and achievements and stuff. But we don't get to keep it- it gets sent off to the CBSE board (don't know why).

But here's what I'm worried about- it starts getting piled up (the profile) in 8th grade, and I included a bunch of useless nonsense (participation stuff) because I though my profile was super unimpressive. They give out a pretty long report card of about 7 pages (per grade)- there are individual assessments, semester wise reports, grades in value systems and finally, the cumulative GPA.

So here's my questions- do students, and students only, get to control what is and what is not sent to colleges? Or can an external organization also decide? Also, when applying to colleges, do we only send the cumulative grade point, or other stuff too- like number of days attended, height, weight, personal stuff (like our interests or achievements)?
Post edited by skieurope on

Replies to: Questions From a Worried Sophomore

• PassionatePoetPassionatePoet Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    And one more thing- do colleges require the report card page about health, weight, personal interests? I misplaced that particular page of my freshman report card.
  • ciervociervo Registered User Posts: 876 Member
    What is CBSE?
  • yikesyikesyikesyikesyikesyikes Forum Champion U. Michigan Posts: 1,757 Forum Champion
    edited April 2015
    @ciervo I think it is an examination board in India.
    Post edited by fallenchemist on
    It is an indian board, but regardless of that, can anyone answer my q?
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,585 Senior Member
    US colleges are deeply uninterested in your report card, your height, weight, etc.

They ask secondary schools to provide:

=academic transcripts for grades 9-12 (name of course, level- eg, honors,etc., final grade (only) received)
    =your class rank if they calculate it
    =a school profile (that indicates how many students, what honors/APs are offered, etc)
    =a recommendation from a school representative (such as a Guidance Counselor)

You do not get to control what your school sends, but that is all that the US universities ask for. You fill in the parts of ECs, etc.
    @collegemom3717 Thanks for your reply.
    I am switching schools next year, to a good IB school, from a pretty mediocre CBSE school. Will my previous school have any say at all in my admissions, or will it only be the school from which I graduate?

Oh and do we actually need to submit our report card, or just a list of our grades as sent by the counselor?
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,585 Senior Member
    US colleges do NOT want your report card! They want year end grades only, and in their format. Your new school should have all your grades from your old school (usually listed in some way that indicates they are from a different school) and should send them in as one transcript. Neither your new nor your previous school have a "say" in your admissions- they simply provide information. Your GC recommendation is the only non-quantifiable information they provide.

@collegemom3717 So.. are the student profiles of certificates and stuff that our school puts together for us sent by the school too, or are our ecs and achievements listed by students themselves?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 37,402 Super Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Your EC's and achievements are self-reported on the application; they are not included on the transcript.

To reinforce what was stated above, US colleges will want a transcript issued from and sent by your high school(s), If you attended more than one high school, your ultimate HS will generally append previous transcripts to their own or in some other was list your previous courses/grades on their transcript. The applicant does not send the transcript; the school does.

A guidance counselor/school official will need to send the Secondary School Report to your colleges. Here's an example. Often, the school will send a school profile which will outline academic requirements and limitations, AP courses offered, college matriculations, and a ton of other info. Here's an example.

Thanks a lot @skieurope !
This discussion has been closed.