Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me! Class of '24 aspirant!

AshesofturquoisAshesofturquois Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Anything you say would be a real great help to me! Cause, I'm the first one to every apply for an US university from my school.
STATS:
9th - 90%
10th - 91%
11th - 95%
12th Mid -96%
12th Predicted - 96%
SAT - 1560 SAT II - NA
(State Board - WBCHSE)
Intended Major - English Lit.
Class rank - 1 out of 82 (In the best govt. school of State)
EC's - all vague made up ones. I never knew about all of this. So regret it. But did a lot of community service, from teaching kids to raising funds, distributing clothes among people, making elderly able to read and write over a great area etc.
Published few pieces of writings on local magazines.
Awards - Student of the year award - In previous school.
Another Student of the year award - In new school, which was honored best Govt. school in state last year.
Quiz and debates on regional level etc.
Essays and LoRs - I have plenty of time to work on essays and don't judge me, but my school doesn't have any counselors and even the teachers are ignorant (yet its the best school... irony). And they allowed me to write my own recommendation letters So I know it isn't good and is against ethics. But its necessary.
I can fetch another letter from a really respected man, He was awarded BangaRatna (Jewel of Bengal). He also worked as a Resource Person of The British Council, American Centre, West Bengal Board of Secondary Education, West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education and SCERT.
And during the last 3 years, I've spent a lot of my time chatting with really honorable professionals in their field (Professors of Jadavpur University, Writers, Sahitya Academy award winners) Should I put it as an extracurricular?

* In need of 100% financial aid.
* Would love to attend LACs too.
* Still wanna give a shot at Ivies

Do you think I have any chances of getting in somewhere with full fin aid? If yes, then please mention where. And any advice would be appreciated :)
Plus, any idea how I can achieve a 'spike' in upcoming few months. I'm desperate. Ready to do anything related to literature or anything in general. Please suggest some extracurricular acttivities too.!

Replies to: Chance me! Class of '24 aspirant!

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,801 Senior Member
    Do not be dishonest and unethical in your application. Do not make up ECs. Do not write your LoRs. You need to sign that your application is true. If it isn’t, you can be rescinded.

Full ride scholarships for international students are very, very hard to come by. You can do a search for US colleges offering aid to internationals.

• AshesofturquoisAshesofturquois Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Wow. That did help a lot! And I realized that just because your teachers are ignorant towards student, you should not get a chance to get to a better place.