Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

employment for 1st year international students

harshalpatel93harshalpatel93 Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
edited September 2010 in India
umm i was just wondering whether undergrad students are allowed to work in their first year, or at any time as such. Also can this be used to pay the fees in part for a semester.
Post edited by harshalpatel93 on

Replies to: employment for 1st year international students

• prateek92prateek92 Registered User Posts: 1,159 Senior Member
    On campus? Yes. But you won't be earning much from that. And preference will be given to American students with federal work study which is a problem at larger schools.
  • blue_boxblue_box Registered User Posts: 1,755 Senior Member
    Yes, they are. 20 hours a week, on-campus only. This can be used to pay the fees, but shouldn't. Use it for personal expenses.
  • AviatorPenguinAviatorPenguin Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    I don't know about the policy at Prateek's school but if Work-Study is part of your financial aid - it is guranteed on papers that you will be given a job. Now that is only true if you are active once your get there and look for jobs. At my school, student with Work-Study are given a preference and for the first few weeks only they are allowed to apply for jobs. After that period is over, other students can apply for jobs.

Depending on the job you might be able to contribute a little bit towards fees but mostly its going to be for your personal use. Most schools only pay around minimum wage set by the State. Good Luck!
  • gary7gary7 Registered User Posts: 2,983 Senior Member
    In most ivies, its almost certain you'll get a job as an Indian with a work-study which would vary from a 2-5K cap I guess? Its 3.1 at Penn.
  • FemiluvFemiluv Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    For international students, it's not work study. It's hard cash!! Well, in my school that's what it's called. Yes, u can work on-campus in your first year (20 hrs/week). After your first year, you can work outta school (jobs related to your major, approved by your school)>
    After your first year, you can work outta school (jobs related to your major, approved by your school)>
    Yup, but that goes from your CPT thing, which you might not want.
  • MajorQuestMajorQuest Registered User Posts: 346 Member
    CPT thing?
    corporate work ex thing I guess...you can actually stay for an extra year in the states after your course under visa guidelines and use it to work somewhere from what I heard.
    That's OPT, I was talking about CPT. CPT is work that's directly related to your major, and provides experiences that your university can attest are contributing towards your major. There is no limit to CPT.
    FAIL.
    10char :P
  • AviatorPenguinAviatorPenguin Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    You have to get a sort of an 'extension' on your visa to work off campus. It is usually granted when you can prove that you are going through financial hardship and/or your family's financial situation has taken a toll.
    That's OPT, I was talking about CPT. CPT is work that's directly related to your major, and provides experiences that your university can attest are contributing towards your major. There is no limit to CPT.

True!!
  • VoytekF1toH1VoytekF1toH1 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Just wanted to add to this discussion. It's important to see internships and on campus work not just in terms of monetary income, but in terms of creating stepping stones towards your "High Value Internship" your Junior Year and a full term employment resulting in H1-B sponsorship. Early planning is an absolute key to success.

We discuss job search for international students extensively on our blog, F1 to H1
  • esconieesconie Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    It's ridiculously easy to get part time jobs that pay 2-3 times the minimum wage! BTW as far as i know, cpt is one year total (eg four summers) and then it starts getting cut from ur opt...
    CPT can only get cut out of your OPT if you do CPT fulltime (hrs). It is always advisable to do your CPT during a school year, not during breaks because you can only work 20 hrs/week anyways whereas during breaks you can work fulltime.
This discussion has been closed.