Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My Chances : Please Respond

samsam809samsam809 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
edited October 2010 in India
I am a Student from Bal Bharati Public School , New Delhi which is one of the most respected schools in Delhi and on national level . I am in 12th right now and want to evaluate my chances for good SAT college so that i can choose between IIT-JEE and SAT .. Please help Friends :

> I've been a good student since the beginning except for 11th end part and whole of 12th i was badly sick coz of which i couldnt give 12th boards and had to drop and yes this is my 2nd attempt in 12th coz of Viral disease ..

> Before 11th mid i was like in top 2-3% of my school . Especially i was the best in school in science and english and gr8 at maths .

> i plan to again stay in top 1-2% this year and score 92-94% in CBSE 12th Boards this year .

> i am a professional web designer and have developed around 100 web sites .

> i can programme in few more languages .

> I have tons of certificate to my name mostly debates GK IQ computers .. i rarely participated in olympiads .. but yeah i have some national level A+ certificates in computers and GK

> i have been head boy of my school and held top positions numerous times

> Have participated in virtually all activities and have been good at all except for sports .

> I expect 2200 around SAT score in october SAT this year

> i have been a part of Astronomy and social service clubs .

> I've written a book and will get very gud recommendation letters from many gr8 people

Please friends do evaluate my chances .. and help me .. ask more details if you wish too ...
Post edited by samsam809 on

Replies to: My Chances : Please Respond

• anriudhaanriudha Registered User Posts: 2,446 Senior Member
    But which universities are you aiming for?
    How much did you get in the 10th?
  • samsam809samsam809 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I got 88% in 12th and 98 in Science and 92 in English and 94 in Maths just too bad in Hindi .. I aim for top 20 colleges atleast .. Please tell if i can get there .. it would be good to get in top 10 or atleast UC Berkley
  • blue_boxblue_box Registered User Posts: 1,755 Senior Member
    How much can you pay, total? In dollars (and this includes everything)
    I am a Student from Bal Bharati Public School , New Delhi which is one of the most respected schools in Delhi

Its funny how everyone says that.
  • anriudhaanriudha Registered User Posts: 2,446 Senior Member
    88%? Woah you mustve got 50 or something in hindi then..
    i can pay around 5-8k $ an year or maybe even 10-12k .. if needed will take education loans upto 50k but hopefully its good if i get scholarship ..
    That totally narrows down your college list. If you're aiming for top 20 and you can pay ~10k, you'll be aiming mostly at the need-blind colleges. MIT, Princeton, Dartmouth, Harvard, etc.
    Frankly, admission to those schools is very competitive. MIT, for example, admits about 3% of international applicants. No one has a sure chance of being admitted to those schools. Applying only to the top 20 and asking for 80% aid is a HUGE risk. I would not recommend it.
    What people normally do is go to a tier 2/3 university that will offer them aid (about rank 70 and up). They can then transfer, if they want to, to a better university.
    If i forget top 20 what about top 50 . Many of my friends with 2000 SAT scores and average school performances and with arnd 70-80% aid have gone to even top 40-30 Universities
  • WaNdErEr202WaNdErEr202 Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    As far as I know, universities outside top 20 hardly offer any aid to internationals (this is not considering LAC's which have a separate ranking system). samsam, could you mention the universities where these friends of yours went to?
    @Wandererer sorry i dont remember the names but will surely let you know soon .
    As far as I know, universities outside top 20 hardly offer any aid to internationals

Actually, tier 2/3 universities offer a LOT of aid to internationals. Illinois Inst. of Tech, Clemson, Kalamazoo, etc.
    I also want to enquire how much will SAT II help me .. I am perfect at all science subjects and english ... i can probably get a 2300 in SAT II ... Will that boost any chances of mine ? If yes how much ?? What abt aid ? and last question .. Which all Universities Require SAT II
    SAT II is out of 800. You're only required to give 2, actually. And you shouldn't speculate on your SAT I/II scores.

Yes, it will boost your chances. Not by a lot, but if you don't do well, then it will really hurt your chances.
    It is a factor in, but not the only thing that decides, how much aid you're going to get.

Most engineering universities require SAT II.
  • collegebored11collegebored11 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    UC Berkeley does not offer aid to internationals. So, you might want to rethink your college list.

As blue_box pointed out, you can apply to the top need blind colleges only. Yale, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, etc. I think - around 6-7 are need blind to foreign students - so better figure that out.

Good luck.
  • rsaxenarsaxena Registered User Posts: 429 Member
    does'nt the fact that he needs 80% aid whereabouts work in his favor?? I mean, this is what you call a really needy applicant - most internationals who write SAT etc are the seriously rich guys (as far as my experience goes) - they can afford to pay most of the fees, and thus colleges are not likely award aid to such students. For a really poor student, places which offer limited aid (Cornell, UPenn, Northwestern, Duke) cmight just be happy to provide such students the aid required.

right???
  • thomaskurian89thomaskurian89 Registered User Posts: 275 Junior Member
    rsaxena wrote:
    does'nt the fact that he needs 80% aid whereabouts work in his favor?? I mean, this is what you call a really needy applicant - most internationals who write SAT etc are the seriously rich guys (as far as my experience goes) - they can afford to pay most of the fees, and thus colleges are not likely award aid to such students. For a really poor student, places which offer limited aid (Cornell, UPenn, Northwestern, Duke) cmight just be happy to provide such students the aid required.

Asking for financial aid will not affect his admissions chances at need-blind colleges. At need-based colleges, however, it could decrease his chances dramatically.
This discussion has been closed.