Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What do you learn in IB Math SL/HL?

2»

Replies to: What do you learn in IB Math SL/HL?

• Hendrix96Hendrix96 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Earlier I meant IB Math Methods SL covers a wider range of topics than AP Calc AB. Calc AB doesn't do probability or statistics, but both are topics in IB SL. The calculus in IB SL is like other people have said, MUCH easier than the calculus covered in AP CALC AB. Overall Calc AB is a more difficult class by far, but IB SL does cover a good deal of topics.
  • jc150014jc150014 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Yes... AP Calc BC also covers Differential Equation but only in first order though.
  • RuffRuff999RuffRuff999 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    If you have any skill at math take HL Math. It is extremely difficult and is harder than AP Calc Ab and BC. SL math is a joke in my school. It is precal than a little bit of calc. If you want to major in Engineering or business you need to take HL Math.
  • srabingtonsrabington Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    So i have a question: If I am in SL Math Year 2, would I take calculus in college or pre-calculus?
  • SHIKAMAMASHIKAMAMA Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    ib hl has a few more topics, calc bc is just more in depth. ib sl is around precalc or precalc honors level
  • abbc1223abbc1223 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    IB Math HL 1 covers BC calculus, HL 2 covers beyond that and Further HL is even beyond that
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,957 Senior Member
    Math studies is easy and only vaguely introduces calculus concepts but includes a LOT of useful applied math for people aiming for humanities and social sciences. It's actually a great course for people who don't like math because it shows there's math everywhere in the world. It's extremely well conceived in relation to its aims.

Math SL over two years covers precalculus and calc AB plus statistics&probability.
    Math SL used as a pre-req for HL is a different animal, faster paced.
    Math SL is meant for future business majors, premeds, econ majors, stusents who'll typically need 1-2 semesters of math (typically calc1+ stats)

Math HL is meant for future engineering and math majors. It goes beyond calculus BC (at some schools calc BC and stats are a pre-req for HL2) and includes more types of math. It is extremely difficult, and taken only by very strong students.

Further Math HL is clearly designed for students who are uncommonly advanced at math (prodigies, Aime qualifiers, kids who do AoPS for fun) and there's even a warning about it in the teachers' handbook.

2»