Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is Full IB That Bad??

2»

Replies to: Is Full IB That Bad??

• VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 2,875 Senior Member
    Every school is different. Senior year was not just review at ours, for one thing she had 3 IA's senior year. Our school started with ~150 kids in 9th grade and ~90 received the diploma.

My daughter took Junior year:

SL Spanish
    SL Math
    APUSH
    HL English year 1
    TOK
    AP Art History

Senior year:

HL History year 2
    HL English year 2
    HL chem yr 1/2 double period
    SL Econ

She did find it very hard. She is getting A's in college.
  • IBviolamomIBviolamom Registered User Posts: 397 Member
    My daughter did full IB in high school and earned the diploma. It was very rigorous and time-consuming. She often spent a good portion of her weekends doing schoolwork. I’m sure it helped with college applications because she maintained a high GPA and her guidance counselor was able to check the “most rigorous” box. But the workload was really tremendous and stressful at times.

Now that she has finished her first year at college, it is easy to see the benefits of something that, at times, made us all wonder if it was worth it. IB prepared her very well for college, especially in writing. My daughter worked her butt off on her EE and received an A on it. All of her papers in college have been very well received by her professors; in fact, she writes so well one of her professors actually told her she forgot a citation when the writing was actually hers, lol. IB also taught her how to handle a heavy workload.

One note on the flipside though. Her best friend, who is taking mostly science and math classes and has a lot more tests then she has writing, does not feel that it prepared her as well for her college experience. She finds that the program did not prepare her for the tremendous amount of learning she has to do on her own from textbooks in her college classes. So I thought I would offer that perspective as well. On the other hand, this same friend is working super hard and earning straight As so it must have done some good!

• curiouspenguincuriouspenguin Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    Full IB is extremely valuable if you're intending on applying to universities that let you skip your freshman year of undergrad. Oregon State University is a school that does this.
  • VineyarderVineyarder Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    D19 is in a full IB diploma program—actually, at the school where the IB was created. She’s taking HL chemistry, visual arts and literature, SL math, economics and French. She’s finding it a lot of work, but manageable. Helps that she’s not in a sport, but she does take Chinese lessons on weekends (suspended at super-busy times). Her first-choice college, Parsons, doesn’t require especially high scores or grades, but we’re hopeful her IB projection and her SATs will get her a good merit award.
2»