right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Living in China, going back to the states

PhotoT159PhotoT159 31 replies10 threads Junior Member
edited February 2011 in International Students
I am an American citizen living in china, i am hoping to go back to the states to continue a college education, but i am not sure about what kinda tests i need to take. I took the IELTS just in case and i will be taking the SAT and ACT. Should there be anything else i need to do?
edited February 2011
3 replies
Post edited by PhotoT159 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Living in China, going back to the states

  • b@r!um[email protected]!um 10287 replies175 threads Senior Member
    It's sufficient to take either the SAT or the ACT, but you should consider taking SAT Subject Tests if you are interested in the more selective universities. The TOEFL is more popular for US college admissions than the IELTS, but IELTS scores should be fine for most universities (double-check just to be safe).
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 31063 replies199 threads Senior Member
    PhotoT159 -

    If you are attending a US-style "international school", your guidance counselor probably can give you good advice about the admissions process. If you are attending a British, French, German, or other "international school" that follows another national program the counselors at that school should be able to help you if lots of the students go to college in the US.

    If you are in a Chinese school that does not send many students to college in the US, you should read through everything at EducationUSA | Study Abroad, Student Visa, University Fairs, College Applications and Study in the U.S. / America Then you should make an appointment with the counselors at the advising center closest to you. There is one in Beijing and one in Hong Kong EducationUSA - Center Profile - EducationUSA China EducationUSA - Center Profile - PAS - Hong Kong If none of the counselors have worked with a US citizen lately, they have colleagues in other offices around the world who do have that experience.

    Since you are a citizen, you can file the FAFSA Home - FAFSA on the Web-Federal Student Aid which determines your eligibility for federally determined financial aid. Some people find this form very confusing. You should print out the whole formula from http://www.ifap.ed.gov/efcformulaguide/attachments/101310EFCFormulaGuide1112.pdf and work through it on paper. This way you will know what to expect when you complete it online. You will need to convert all of the figures to USD at the exchange of the day.

    Some private colleges and universities use the CSS Profile as the financial aid application.
    There is a good estimator at College Calculators - savings calculators - college costs, loans

    If you do not have a social security number (SSN), you will need to get one before you file the FAFSA. Find out from your parents whether or not you have one. Sometimes children whose parents were international students in the US when they were born here do not have social security numbers. If your parents don't have social security numbers, when you file the FAFSA, you can just put 000-00-0000 into the spaces where the SSN is required.

    Lastly, you need to determine whether or not you can be considered an in-state resident for tuition purposes somewhere in the US. Each state sets its own policy, so you do need to research it carefully. Start with the state(s) where your family owns property, and the state where you lived last.

    There are a number of US citizens who are living outside the US who have asked questions very much like yours in the past few months. You might like to read through some of their threads for more ideas. I will send you the list that I have in a PM to save space here.

    Wishing you all the best!
    · Reply · Share
  • PhotoT159PhotoT159 31 replies10 threads Junior Member


    This is really helpful. I am actually studying in a college prep program in Guangdong province.

    I also received ur message, thanks for all the help.

    It is a pretty interesting program which sends a lot of students to America.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity