right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

which date for exchange rate? - URGENT!

backtousbacktous 63 replies41 threads Junior Member
edited February 2011 in International Students
I am US citizen, but my dad is not and works in Korea. I have his 2010 tax return statements ready 'in English' finally, but they are in Korean currency. All I have to do is convert those into US dollars.

My Q is which WEBSITE and DATE should I use for the exchange rate? Please, help! I am in a rush :<
edited February 2011
4 replies
Post edited by backtous on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: which date for exchange rate? - URGENT!

• b@r!um[email protected]!um 10287 replies175 threads Senior Member
    You didn't say what purpose the conversion is for.

The IRS gives you a fair bit of leeway. (Google for details.)

FAFSA instructions say to use the exchange rate of the day that you file the FAFSA.
    · Reply · Share
  • backtousbacktous 63 replies41 threads Junior Member
    ^To convert my dad's 2010 income from Korean currency into US dollars, as I had mentioned in my initial question. I have to send these to IDOC. Perhaps I was not clear enuf?

Anyhow, should I use one day, any day, in 2010 for conversion? Or use the date that I am submitting my dad's statement?
    · Reply · Share
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um 10287 replies175 threads Senior Member
    I was asking for the purpose of the currency conversion because the guidelines vary with the recipient.

FAFSA: use the exchange rate on the day you file the form (e.g. today's rate)

CSS Profile: you get to pick the date. i suggest you use the same exchange rate as on the FAFSA so that the figures match, or else processing of your financial aid application might get delayed.

IDOC: translate the documents but keep the original currency. do not convert the currency into USD.

Unless of course your college gives you different instructions.
    · Reply · Share
  • backtousbacktous 63 replies41 threads Junior Member
    ^ Thank you very much!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity