right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Question about Visa

SandroRodriguesSandroRodrigues 630 replies53 threads Member
edited February 2011 in International Students
Hello all,

I'm an international student from Brazil.

I was recently accepted to one of my favorites universities and I'm planning to enroll in the next few days. I received from this college a package through mail that mentions the F-1 [student] Visa expedition. There is a special section in a paper from this package, however, that mentions that B-2 Visa holders [i.e. me] should carry a Visa Status Change prior to enrolling at the school. Without much information on how to do that, here I am to clear some doubts with you:

In case I am living outside the US with a B-2 Visa, what's the process to get an F-1 Visa? Should I carry a Status Change by mailing the USCIS? Or should I open a completely new application for the F-1?

Thank you so far.
edited February 2011
3 replies
Post edited by SandroRodrigues on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Question about Visa

  • b@r!um[email protected]!um 10287 replies175 threads Senior Member
    If you are not currently living in the US, you should apply for an F-1 visa at an embassy abroad. (This is always an option, even if you were residing in the US.) A status change requires a valid I-94, which you probably don't have.
    · Reply · Share
  • SandroRodriguesSandroRodrigues 630 replies53 threads Member
    So, basically, I should apply to a new Visa. Is that correct?

    In this case, will it replace my current (B-2) visa?
    · Reply · Share
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um 10287 replies175 threads Senior Member
    Usually an old visa gets canceled when a new one is issued. If you need to travel to the US before your F-1 visa is valid, I would call the visa hotline of your embassy and inquire about the possibility of carrying two valid US visas at the same time. (It is possible, I just don't know if there's extra paperwork involved.)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity