right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

is being an international student helps getting admitted or not?

TheSyrianGuyTheSyrianGuy 66 replies19 threads Junior Member
edited February 2011 in International Students
I'm wondering if it helps being a SYRIAN student helps getting admitted because there arent a lot of them and many colleges wants diversity in there campus, so does it help? and i know i have to have good grades and all,but if it was a make or break does it help?
Thank you.
edited February 2011
14 replies
Post edited by TheSyrianGuy on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: is being an international student helps getting admitted or not?

• UKdude84UKdude84 445 replies23 threads Member
    Cant hurt. You'll be paying through the nose so they welcome you.
    · Reply · Share
  • BatlloBatllo - 3047 replies0 threads Senior Member
    TheSyrian- list your colleges for us
    · Reply · Share
  • iceui2iceui2 841 replies46 threads Member
    Do you need financial aid?

The opposite of your answer to this question is the answer to your question.
    · Reply · Share
  • confidential2015confidential2015 1356 replies40 threads Senior Member
    If you are paying the full cost of attendance, it might help!
    · Reply · Share
  • TheSyrianGuyTheSyrianGuy 66 replies19 threads Junior Member
    iI dont need financial aid for most of the universities,
    and to batllo:university of minnesota twin cities,upitt,university of utah,university of toronto,uc davis and maybe university of ottawa.
    · Reply · Share
    TheSyrian-
    The US colleges on your list are state flagship universities.
    Their goal is to educate citizens of their state so the pool of international students is very competetive for each.
    Since you do not need financial aid you should include private universities in you applications.
    You'll have to wait for others to post about Canadian universities.
    · Reply · Share
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um 10287 replies175 threads Senior Member
    ^ That's probably not true. Many public universities welcome full-paying international applicants with open arms! The ones that are crazy competitive to get into are universities with international prestige (e.g. Berkeley) and universities that are legally required to offer most of their spots to in-state students (e.g. Austin).

The UCs are easy to find detailed statistics for, so I will take UC Davis as an example: They admitted more than 40% of their international applicants in 2009. The average SAT score of their international students is 1792, which is barely higher than the 1766 average of the entire student body.
    · Reply · Share
    If I am reading between the lines correctly the OP wants to know if being from Syria is a hook to his chosen colleges.
    barium, I agree with you that being a full paying applicant is more of a hook for him.
    That is what I meant to convey to to the OP.
    · Reply · Share
  • confidential2015confidential2015 1356 replies40 threads Senior Member
    Twin Cities shall be the easiest one to get in for an international ready to pay full cost. As barium said, many(I would say-MOST) public universities welcome full paying international students with open arms!
    :D
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you all for your responses but i wanted to know as batllo said that if being from syria is a hook ,and i know paying the full tuition is more of a hook but does being from syria helps.
    · Reply · Share
    Being a full-paying international not from China or India helps. Being from Syria in particular? I doubt it.
    · Reply · Share
    There are simply too many smallish countries in the world to give special attention to each of them. Yes, you would add to diversity, but so would a student from Ecuador or Denmark or Uganda. There's no point in worrying about whether factors beyond your control might have an impact on your application. Just do your best on the items that you do have control over, keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!
    · Reply · Share
    Ok.Thanks a lot for your help [email protected]!um,and the others who helped me,really appreciate it.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity